The Punjabi way of making besan ke ladoo is fairly simple and requires only a few ingredients. It is just the perfection required in mixing the besan with the ghee over a fire which cannot be compromised upon.
Ingredients you need: Pistachios, almonds, green cardamom, green cardamom powder, desi ghee and powdered sugar. Adding 20 other things would simply not add to this dish’s flavor and would rather destroy the chemistry between besan and ghee.
Making besan ke ladoo should be kept as simple as possible, no elaborate cooking methods need to be adopted.
- Place a wok/ kadhai on a burner and add ghee to it.
- Bring ghee to a melting point and add a few pods of green cardamom to it. Allow the pods to cook for a bit and then pull them out.
- Add green cardamom powder to the ghee
- Add besan to the wokand and roast it till it turns light brown. Don’t start eating, you are not done yet. That aroma would be inviting enough, but you have some more time to go.
- Keep a few almonds whole and crush the remaining. Do the same with the pistachios. Mix the crushed pistachios and almonds together.
- Remove wok/ kadhai from the burner and add crushed almonds and pistachios to the besan and mix them really well. Allow the mixture to cool for 15-20 minutes and add powdered sugar to it.
- Lightly roast the whole almonds and pistachios.
- Make ladoos of this mixture and once done, press the roasted almonds and pistachios to the exterior of ladoos for the impact and “look good” factor.