Bhaja Muger Khichuri
In addition to the tasty and oily food, our regional variations also provide a great number of healthy options. Khichiri is one such meal prepared in different forms all over India which is light on stomach and gives good nutrition. Let’s see today one such variation from Bengal which is known by the name of Bhaja Muger Khichuri. The name suggests that it uses bhaja or vegetables and muger or moong dal in the preparation. I loved this light preparation after a few heavy meals over the festival time. The vegetables add to the nutrition and you are free to use whatever vegetables you feel good with it. It also gives a great taste with the addition of some cumin, cloves and cinnamon. Make it your meal with this easy Bhaja Muger Khichuri Recipe and enjoy a nice balanced meal.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Rice – 1 cup
- Dhuli moong dal – 1 cup
- Mix vegetables – 1 cup (I used cauliflower, peas, potatoes)
- Tomato – 1 (chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Green chilli – 1 to 2
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cloves – 4 to 5
- Green elaichi – 2 to 3
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
How to make Bhaja Muger Khichuri
Preparation time: 20 min.
Cooking time: 30 min.
- Soak the rice in water for about 15 min.
- Roast the dal in 1 tbsp oil for 2 to 3 min. Add some water and leave it for 10 min.
- Heat oil in a pressure pan, add bay leaf, cinnamon, cumin seeds, cloves, green elaichi and let it crackle.
- Add tomato, green chili and fry for a min.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and fry for another min.
- Add mix vegetables and fry for 2 to 3 min.
- Drain and add the dal and fry for 2 min.
- Drain and add the rice and fry for 2 min.
- Add 5 cup water with salt and pressure cook for 10 min (about 2 whistles).
- Garnish with fresh coriander if you like
- Serve hot.