It has been customary in the Indian society to serve namkeen when someone visits over a tea or as a precursor to dinner with initial chit chats. Most of Indians are fond of having these namkeen regularly and people keep finding innovative ways to experiment with it. The fondness is clear with the number of namkeen shops. Most of the times, we serve namkeen bought from the market, however making something on your own is always satisfying. You can use basic ingredients at home to make an awesome Chivda Namkeen, store it and have it with your evening tea everyday. So please your family and friends with this unique recipe of Chivda Namkeen, they won’t just stop resisting it. Enjoy!
Ingredients needed for Chivda Namkeen
- Beaten Rice/ poha – 4 cups
- Peanuts – 1 cup
- Green chilies – 4-5 (slit vertically)
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Hing – 1/3 tsp
- Sesame seeds – 1 and a 1/2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Citric acid – 1/4 tsp
- Powdered sugar – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 20-25
How to make Chivda Namkeen
- Mix salt with citric acid and grind into fine powder.
- Take oil in a pan and heat, add green chilies and fry till crispy.
- Add peanuts and fry for around a minute.
- Add hing, curry leaves, sesame seeds and fry for another 20-30 sec.
- Add beaten rice (poha), fine salt powder, sugar and dry masala.
- Fry on low heat till poha is crispy (around half an hour).
- Cool and store in an airtight container.
- Serve with tea.