Biryani’s are one of the most famous dishes in India. This is made in many different ways across the country and liked my most of the population. It can be made vegetarian or non-vegetarian, in the latter variety it can be made with different meats like chicken, mutton, fish or eggs etc. Today I used seer fish to make myself a biryani meal and served it with some raita. You can use any other fish variety, however I generally look to use one with less bones so you can thoroughly enjoy the taste in the dish. The biryani came out real nice, it is also a nice variation to regular chicken or mutton biryani. So let’s see the recipe I used to make it, here is Fish Biryani Recipe for you.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Basmati rice – 2 cup
- Laung – 2 to 3
- Dalchini – 1 inch piece
- Kali mirch – 4 to 5
- Fish slices – 6 to 8
- Hung curd – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp (for rice) and to taste for fish
- Onion – 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Ginger paste – 1 tsp
- Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Green coriander for garnishing
Method of Preparation
Preparation time: 10 min.
Cooking time: 50 min.
- Cook rice with 4 cup water, dalchini, laung, kali mirch & salt till 80% done.
- Mix hung curd with turmeric powder, red chili powder and apply on the fish pieces. Keep aside for 20 min.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onion and fry till light brown.
- Add tomatoes, ginger paste and garlic paste and fry for 1-2 min.
- Add fish with the marinade and cook until fish is done.
- Take a big pan, fill with half rice, layer with the cooked fish.
- Layer with remaining rice.
- Garnish with green coriander.
- Cover with a tight lid and cook for 10 to 15 min on low heat.
- Serve hot.
Do not over cook the fish as it gets mushy.