Gujarati Khandvi Recipe
I could never believe that this wonderful looking dish was so easy to make until I actually made it. Gujarati Khandvi is a delectable savory snack from the western state of Gujarat and goes well even with a cup of hot evening tea. We used to get it from mithai and savory shops mostly when we were expecting guests at home. However, this is no longer the case because of the ease and speed with which it can be prepared at home; I do not find a need to get it ready-made. It is made with gram flour and flavoured with tempered sesame and mustard seeds. The filling within the Khandvi rolls is a personal choice with people choosing paneer or some cheese while I make without it by just sprinkling a hints of coconut chives and coriander leaves on the top. Gujarati Khandvi has an inviting appeal and an amazing taste, so I never have any left overs. You too can make your evening tea special today with this simple recipe.
Ingredients needed for Gujarati Khandvi
- Besan – 1/2 cup
- Buttermilk – 2 cups
- Ginger paste – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Sesame seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Green chili – 1
- Grated coconut and chopped coriander for garnishing
How to make Gujarati Khandvi
- Mix besan, buttermilk, ginger paste, salt and turmeric powder in a bowl.
- Heat it till the mixture thickens.
- Pour the thickened mixture on flat platform and spread into thin sheet.
- Let it cool and set.
- Cut into thin stripes and roll these stripes.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, sesame seeds and green chili.
- Pour it over the khandavi rolls.
- Garnish with grated coconut and coriander.