We have talked about using Imli Ki Saunth or tamarind chutney to garnish in many other recipes. It is most commonly used in the chaat’s like gol gappa, papdi chaat, bhel puri, dahi bhalla etc and gives a nice tangy and sweet flavor. It is also served as an accompaniment to food with additions like kishmish and sometimes banana. I came across this yummy saunth in my childhood, specially it was made in parties and marriages. I’m sure a lot of you would have loved imli in its various forms in your childhood too. I re-created the fun at home today while making it. One great thing about saunth is that it can be kept for long time under refrigeration and used as needed. So for people who want to make chaat and other recipes at home, I always recommend making bountiful and keeping it in the fridge. Let’s see Imli Ki Saunth Recipe and enjoy the great flavor.
Ingredients needed for Imli Ki Saunth
(makes about 1 kg)
- Imli – 250 gms
- Gud (jaggery) – 250 gms
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Black salt – 2 tsp
- Roasted cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Water – 6 cup
- Kishmish – 1/4 cup
How to make Imli Ki Saunth Recipe
Preparation time: 5 min.
Cooking time: 45 min.
- Boil the water and soak imli in it for about 1 hour.
- Using your hands mash the imli in water.
- Strain the mixture using a soup strainer, try to extract as much extract from the tamarind (imli)
- Add all other ingredients, mix and boil for about 25-30 min.
- Store in an air tight container in a fridge and serve as needed.