Like many others in India, I am also a potato lover and relish its dishes. Potatoes go well with almost every vegetable but here I am going to share a recipe with you in which there is no other vegetable but just the potatoes and curd. Being a Punjabi, curd for me is essential with every meal irrespective of season. So combining both these is the delicious and mouth watering dish i.e. Kashmiri Dum Aloo. I really like the taste of curd in Kashmiri Dum Aloo and there is nothing like this dish when it is served with boiled rice. I am sure that your taste buds will force you to cook this dish again and again.
- I kg Potatoes (Small size but not those tiny ones)
- 1/2 kg curd or yogurt (properly whisked)
- Cumin seeds (1 tbsp)
- Red chilly powder (2 tbsp)
- Salt to taste
- Fennel seed powder (Saunf) (1/2 tbsp)
- Refined oil to fry potatoes
- Green cardamom powder (1/2 tbsp)
- Garam masala powder (1/2 tbsp)
Kashmiri Dum Aloo Recipe
- Boil the potatoes and peel these after boiling. Make holes with the help of fork or tooth pick in boiled potatoes.
- Now deep fry these potatoes in oil till these become golden brown. Keep these on absorbent paper and set aside.
- Take a pan. Add two table spoons of oil and heat it.
- To this add cumin seeds and red chilly powder together and instantly add whisked curd. If you won’t do this immediately then chilly powder will get burnt with the heat of oil. Keep stirring the curd till it starts boiling to avoid splitting of curd.
- Add potatoes to it and keep stirring for some time.
- Add fennel powder, green cardamom powder, garam masala powder, salt and cover the dish. Let it cook for another 7-10 mins so that potatoes absorb the mixture and get the taste of curd.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with boiled rice.
To know more about Indian Food, you may refer to the following: