Coconut is mostly used in south Indian cuisine. There, almost every dish has it. It is used as cooking oil; its shavings are an essential ingredient of curries; it is used to prepare chutney and even desserts. Every region has some special preparations.
Let’s see today one such unique flavor from Karnataka in Kayi Chutney. This chutney is made using coconut, coriander, chana, green chilli, heeng, among other ingredients, and is a great accompaniment to most South Indian foods. Once prepared, I used a tadka in the chutney to give it a perfect appeal and taste. Its is extremely easy to make and brings a great Kannada taste to your meals. I’m sure you also make dosa, idli etc in your homes, so next time pair them with this Kayi Chutney and enjoy a perfect South Indian meal. Here is Kayi Chutney Recipe for you. Enjoy!
Ingredients (serves multiple)
- Fresh coconut – 1 cup (sliced)
- Green chilli – 2
- Coriander leaves – 1/2 cup
- Tamarind paste – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Heeng – 1/4 tsp
- Roasted chana – 2 tbsp
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 5 to 6
How to make Kayi Chutney
Preparation time: 10 min.
Cooking time: 15 min.
- Mix fresh coconut with about 1/4 cup water and blend in a blender.
- Add all other ingredients and blend to make a smooth chutney.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and let them crackle, then add curry leaves.
- Add the tempering to the chutney.
- Serve fresh with your South Indian meals.
191 total views, 3 views today