I did part of my studies from Lucknow, the capital of UP, and one of the best things I liked about this wonderful city was its cuisine. A lot of you who would have traveled to this city would agree on this point, its cuisine has been carried forward through number of generations from the old Mughal period. I picked up one of my favorite recipes from this city called Lucknowi Chicken which I share with you today. The taste of dish is enhanced through kewra essence and rose water and it tastes delicious with any Indian bread like naan or tandoori roti. Let’s see the Lucknowi Chicken Recipe and enjoy a historical taste in the new year!
- Curry cut chicken – 800 gms
- Onion – 2 cup (cut in small pieces)
- Garlic – 10 cloves
- Ginger – 1 1/2 inch piece
- Tomatoes – 1/2 cup (cut in small pieces)
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Kewra essence – about 5 drops
- Rose water – 2 tsp
- Fresh dhania leaves for garnishing
Method of Preparation
Preparation time: 15 min.
Cooking time: 30 min.
- Use a mortar and pestle to shred the garlic cloves and ginger piece. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry onions till light golden brown.
- Add garlic and ginger and saute for 2-3 min.
- Add tomatoes and saute until soft.
- Add all dry masala and fry for 4-5 min. (Use little water as needed)
- Add chicken and fry on low flame with a cover for 10-12 min till the chicken is soft.
- Add kewra essence and rose water.
- Garnish with fresh dhania leaves.
- Serve hot.