We all go to North Indian restaurants at times and it’s a constant challenge to find something new to eat. We’ve all had enough of the buttery recipes, sweet and chilly. It’s equally challenging to find something different to cook at home. Well, in this case Methi Malai Makai stands up to the challenge and gets you going with an amazing, out-of-ordinary curry option. Methi Malai Makai is made with two amazing ingredients: methi or fenugreek and makai or corn with an Indian gravy. This dish goes well with any kind of Indian bread like naan or tandoori roti and is an excellent option for a lunch or dinner party. So the next time you want something different to eat, look no further and use this recipe to make a delicious Methi Malai Makai.
Ingredients needed for Methi Malai Makai
Oil – 3 tbsp
Cloves – 3-4
Black cardamom – 2
Black peppercorns – 4-5
Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
Bay leaf – 1
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Onion – 1 cup (chopped)
Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp
Tomato puree – 2 tbsp
Yogurt – 2 tbsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Fresh methi leaves – 1/2 cup (chopped)
Corn kernels – 1 cup (boiled till soft)
Milk – 1 cup
Fresh cream – 2 tbsp
How to make Methi Malai Makai
- Heat oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot, add cloves, black cardamom, black peppercorn, cinnamon, cumin seeds and bay leaf.
- Fry for 10 seconds.
- Add onion.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and fry till onion turns golden brown
- Add tomato puree.
- Cook for a minute.
- Remove from heat and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Blend the mixture in a blender to make a smooth paste.
- Heat the same pan and add the paste.
- Add 1/2 cup of water.
- Add yogurt and cook for a minute.
- Add coriander powder, red-chili powder, turmeric powder and cook for a minute.
- Add fenugreek leaves and corn kernels.
- Add milk and cook for 4-5 minute on low flame.
- Add cream and cook for a minute.
- Serve hot with naan or laccha paratha.