Punjabi Butter Chicken Recipe
This dish is probably the most known Indian dish, popular even outside the country. It is probably the most ordered chicken dish by foreigners who visit India. Punjabi Butter Chicken recipe has been perfected and passed on to generations and numerous Punjabi restaurants all over India serve it as a specialty. Punjabi Butter Chicken is also known as Murg Makhani. As the name suggests the dish originated in the state of Punjab and made immortal by numerous Punjabis running restaurants all over the world. The dish has an amazing buttery taste which makes you keep longing for more. So here is a simple recipe to make Punjabi Butter Chicken at home.
Ingredients needed for Punjabi Butter Chicken
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Green Cardamom (ilaychi) – 2
- Black cardamom (Badi ilaychi)- 1
- Cloves (laung)- 2
- Cinnamon stick (dalchini)- 1 inch piece
- Onion-1 cup
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Tomato puree – 1/2 cup
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Curd- 2 tbsp
- Cashew nut paste – 2 tbsp
- Kashmiri red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Tandoori masala – 1 tsp
- Chicken – 1/2 kg
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cream – 1/2 cup
- Kasturi methi – 1 tsp
How to make Punjabi Butter Chicken
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cloves, black cardamom and green cardamom in the oil.
- Add onions and fry till golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- Add tomato puree and fry for a minute.
- Remove the pan from heat and set aside the masala cool.
- Grind the masala in a grinder to make a smooth paste.
- Add butter in the same pan.
- Add the grounded masala.
- Add curd and cook for a minute.
- Add cashew nut paste, Kashmiri red chili powder and garam masala powder
- Cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add little water if required
- Add chicken and salt and a cup of water
- Cook till chicken is done
- Add fresh cream
- Add kasturi methi
- Serve hot with naan