Kerala is famous primarily for its non-vegetarian food. Their food is less spicy but more delicious. Grated coconut and coconut oil ingredients are used in the recipes of Kerala. There is a lot of variety of non-vegetarian food in Kerala.
The state is the perfect destination for poultry, seafood etc. So apart from food, it is nature’s paradise with beautiful beaches, incredible wildlife, hilly regions and forests. Historical places are some of the most amazing things you can explore there, and the people of Kerala are friendly and respectful.
Let’s make delicious chicken curry in Kerala style.
1 ½ Kg chicken pieces
1 ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
Four teaspoon salt
One tablespoon curd
2 ½ coconut grated
Two ¼ cups water
Four tablespoons coconut oil
Five whole dry red chillies
10gms ginger chopped
16 flakes garlic
½ teaspoon peppercorns
One teaspoon aniseed
Two sticks cinnamon
Three green cardamoms
Five tablespoons coriander seeds
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
Two medium chopped onions
Two green chillies
Two pureed tomatoes
1. Marinate all the chicken pieces in 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, one teaspoon salt and curd. Keep aside.
2. Extract 1 cup of thick milk from coconut using 1 cup water.
3. add 3/4 cup water to the same coconut and extract 3/4 cup thin milk.
4. In a pan, heat one tablespoon coconut oil for about ½ minute.
5. Roast all ingredients except onions, chillies and tomato puree. Just grind together the roasted ingredients into a paste, keep adding a little water ½ cup from time to time.
6. Heat remaining oil three tablespoons in the cooker for about 2 minutes. Add onions and fry till golden brown.
7. add remaining turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon ground paste chillies and tomato puree.
8. Cook for about three minutes and stir constantly.
9. Add chicken and the remaining three teaspoons of salt. Mix well and add Thin coconut milk and stir again for once.
10. Close the cooker and bring it to full pressure on high heat, reduce the heat and cook for 7 minutes.
11. Remove the cooker from heat and allow it to cool naturally.
12. Open the cooker and stir it in the coconut milk.
Now the chicken curry in Kerala style is ready to serve. Garnish some coriander leaves over it and serve hot.