Vermicelli Kheer Recipe
Vermicelli kheer or semiyaan kheer is a very popular dessert in south India. It is a must-have sweet for all the festivals and is considered auspicious. The kheer is made by dry roasting vermicelli to a golden brown color till a nice aroma starts to come from it and then milk and other flavorings are added to give a nice and creamy kheer. This kheer can be relished hot as soon as it is made or can be kept in the refrigerator and had chilled. So here is the recipe.
Ingredients needed for Seviyan Kheer
- Full cream milk – 1 litre
- Vermicelli/ Semiyaan – 1 cup
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Cardamom powder – 2 tsp
- Almonds and cashew nuts – 1/4 cup (cut into slivers)
How to make Vermicelli Kheer Recipe
- Add ghee in a heavy bottom pan.
- Add vermicelli and roast till slightly browned.
- Remove from the pan and keep aside.
- Add milk in the pan and let it come to a boil.
- Add the roasted vermicelli and simmer the heat.
- Cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes, until the vermicelli are soft.
- Add sugar and cardamom powder and cook for another minute.
- Garnish with almonds and cashew nuts.
- Serve warm or you can chill it in the refrigerator and serve cold.
- Add sugar only when the vermicelli are cooked nicely, otherwise they will not cook properly.
- You can adjust sugar according to your taste and can even add sugar free substitutes.
- If you are chilling it in the refrigerator, add extra 1/4 cup of milk as it will thicken with time.