Dietary supplements (also referred to as health supplements) are products we consume that work as a supplement to our regular diet. The nutrients an individual requires to have a healthy body and prevent the body from diseases may not be enough in the foods. Dietary supplements fulfil those gaps of bodily nutrition requirements.
Dietary supplement comes in the form of:
- Energy bars
Dietary supplements usually are taken for nutrient compounds, such as:
- Vitamins/Multivitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12)
- Folic acid
- Fish-oils and many more.
Dietary supplements and their usage:
- Calcium supplements are taken to fulfil the needs of calcium in the body for stronger bones and teeth.
- Fish oil supplements are taken to prevent certain diseases, especially heart conditions and blood system conditions.
- Cod liver oil helps prevent many diseases like diabetes, high cholesterol levels, high triglyceride levels, depression, and autoimmune disorders.
- Zinc supplements are beneficial for the growth of young children, boosting the immune system, and prevent many other diseases.
- Multivitamins are taken for the growth of hair and nails, glowing skin-like health benefits.
- Vitamin D supplements are taken as many people cannot take them from the sunlight.
- Vitamin C supplements are taken for the production of collagen and a more robust immune system.
- Other supplements made of certain ingredients help in weight loss, depression or mood disorders, etc.
Following are some Pros and Cons of Health supplements
- Having supplements is much easier and convenient. Many people do not get the food or do not have the time to prepare the food to eat it. Whereas taking a pill or capsule may be much easier.
- Many people live in areas where all types of foods may not be available. Having those nutrient supplements can fulfil nutritional needs.
- Vegetables, fish, and fruits are grown artificially using pesticides commonly these days. Those harmful chemicals reduce the food’s original nutrients, for which supplements are chosen to get those nutritional benefits.
- A supplement works as a support for the food habits but does not substitute for the nutritional gaps. It is always better to consume the nutrients naturally than in synthetic forms.
- Combining the supplements with other prescribed drugs can be harmful to the health. It is always advised to take supplements by the advice of a medical expert.
It is always advised to maintain a healthy lifestyle and balanced diet to prevent diseases. Although supplements can help in fulfilling nutritional needs, they cannot provide the benefits of natural food. Naturally, getting the nutrients are always better and effective in the long run, and they also do not have many side effects. However, supplements can give you side effects causing harmful health effects. Consult a doctor before starting on any supplements.