Bitter Gourd, commonly known as Karela, is not liked by many due to its bitterness and strange appearance. But are you all aware that it has several benefits? Karela or Bitter Gourd is an excellent source of vitamins B1, B2, B3, and C. It also has rich iron and calcium content. Full of high dietary fiber, this bitter vegetable has magnesium, folate, phosphorus, zinc, and manganese too. Consuming it every day in moderate amount can do wonders to your health and skin.
Read below to find more about the benefits of Bitter Gourd –
Health benefits –
1. Promotes good digestion – Bitter Gourd helps in reducing the intestinal disorders and also stomach ailment. Consuming bitter gourd on a regular basis helps in improving the overall digestive health of the body.
2. Asthma relief – Bitter Gourd has anti-viral, anti-inflammatory and anti-histaminic properties because of which it helps in promoting respiratory health and provides relief to asthma patients.
3. Blood purifier – Bitter gourd has antimicrobial and anti-oxidant properties which help in removing toxins from the skin. It also helps in purification of blood thus reducing skin problems, blood disorders and also improving blood circulation. Bitter Gourd even hinders the growth of cancer cells within the body.
4. Helps in weight loss – Eating bitter gourd regularly stimulates the liver to secrete the bile acids. These acids are essential for metabolising fat in the body. Also, bitter gourd contains antioxidants which flush toxins out of the body that ultimately helps in proper functioning of digestive system and weight loss.
5. Helps in overcoming diabetes – Type 2 diabetes, which is caused because of the inability of cells to absorb sugar in the blood due to development of resistance towards insulin or many a time due to insufficient insulin, can be overcome by consuming the juice of bitter gourd every day.
6. Great for eyes – Bitter gourd has high beta-carotene content which is extremely effective in treating and preventing eye complications. Eating bitter gourd regularly can help in improving eyesight.
Skin benefits –
7. Glowing skin – To get a fantastic glow on skin one should regularly consume bitter gourd as it has strong anti-oxidants, Vitamin A and Vitamin C which prevents skin aging and also diminishes the wrinkles. As the toxins are removed from the body, pimple are reduced and the skin is prevented from the UV rays, there occurs a shine on the skin.
8. Treats acne – Bitter Gourd helps in blemishing deep skin infections. It treats blood disorders like psoriasis, itching, ringworm, and other fungal infections. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is capable of treating acne.
9. Anti-aging – Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Zinc, and Biotin are known for imparting shine to the skin. The presence of free radicals makes bitter gourd a great anti-aging agent.
10. Treats itching – Because of its blood purifying properties bitter gourd can cure all types of skin infections and itching.
11. Prevents skin infections – Regular consumption of bitter gourd is helpful in treating all types of skin diseases and infections. Eczema and psoriasis can also be prevented by bitter gourd. Fungal infections including ringworm and athlete’s foot can also be cured.
Hair benefits –
12. Brings shine to hair – Pour a cup of bitter gourd juice over your hair for half an hour and allow your scalp to soak it. Wash your hair with water and see the shine on your hair. Bitter gourd also helps in smoothening the hair texture.
13. Treats hair loss – Bitter gourd juice, when applied with a dash of sugar, helps in preventing hair loss. Bitter gourd juice not only helps in reducing hair fall but also strengthens the hair.
14. Remedy for Oily hair – If an excess of oil gets accumulated in your hair you can apply a mixture of bitter gourd juice and apple cider vinegar over your hair. Using this mixture twice a week can help you get rid of the extra oil which gets generated in your hair.
15. Treats Dandruff – If your scalp is extremely dry and you have rough hair, you can rub a piece of bitter gourd and massage your scalp or you can apply bitter gourd juice over your hair. If you also feel itchiness in your scalp then applying bitter gourd juice mixed with mashed banana can do wonders to your hair. Remember to use it once a week.
16. Prevents greying of hair – Freshly squeezed bitter gourd juice can be applied on grey strands for better results. It can also treat premature greying of hair. Apply bitter gourd juice once a week to curb the growth of grey hair.
Bitter Gourd is a wonderful vegetable with endless benefits. Try to consume it once a week and share the surprising benefits in comments.