Mandelic acid is an aromatic alpha hydroxy acid derived from bitter almonds. It is generally found in some chemical peels and is used in the treatment of such problems like:
- urinary tract infection (UTI)
- bacterial infections
Here are some benefits of Mandelic acid:
- Mandelic acid is used in skincare as it prevents ageing by reducing the size of fine lines and wrinkles and removing dead skin from ageing skin. It strengthens the collagen and also smoothes the skin.
- It helps cure inflammation, xerosis, hyperkeratosis, asteatotic eczema, atopic dermatitis, superficial burns and cutaneous ulcers.
- It reduces hyperpigmentation in melasma.
- It helps promote collagen production, the main protein found in the skin tissue.
- The mandelic acid helps exfoliate harmful dead cells and make the skin firm.
- It contains anti-inflammatory properties, which help to reduce dark spots on the skin.
- It helps decrease melasma production, a common skin condition in which grey pigmentation develops on the face.
- It acts as a non-pore-clogging skin cleanser. The mandelic acid helps to clean the skin’s pores deeply.
- It helps to promote better skin complexion and a clear face.
If you want to enjoy the benefits of mandelic acid on your skin, buy those face products containing at least 5-10% of mandelic acid. Excess to mandelic acid can cause side effects too. You may consult a skin doctor before using any skin product.
Know about the side-effects of Mandelic acid:
Mandelic acid is usually safe but may cause side effects in some cases, such as:
- Dry skin, burning sensation
- Prickling, redness, itching
If symptoms are persistent, please consult a physician.
Know about the contraindications of Mandelic acid:
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity towards the drug mandelic acid or any other allergies.
- Prolonged exposure to UV rays.
- Open sores or boils on the face.
- Herpes viral infection and rashes.
Sometimes people may have to face problems like erythema, so consult your doctor once before using any mandelic acid cream. Stinging sensation kind of problem is also commonly seen in the people who use the creams containing mandelic acid.
Due to such ointments, sometimes, the burning sensation and itching in the skin could arise. So, do not panic. Just follow the doctor’s advice to avoid increasing the problem.