Carpooling refers to when a group of people share a vehicle to travel together. Someone from the group itself owns the vehicle used for carpooling.
The rise in air pollution and traffic in countries worldwide has become a significant issue. Carbon emissions from vehicles are one of the important contributors to air pollution. Polluted air is harming the environment and every living thing on the earth. Animals are unable to breathe or survive, so are human beings. The polluted air is what we are inhaling, resulting in severe diseases.
Heavy traffic on roads caused due to the excessive number of vehicles is also a matter of concern. Almost every state in a country like India faces heavy traffic regularly. Heavy traffic causes delays in arrival to certain places; also, sometimes, it can be problematic in emergencies.
Carpooling can be an effective solution to problems such as heavy traffic and air pollution. Carpooling will encourage people to travel together, heading for the same or nearby destinations. It will decrease the number of cars on the roads.
Following are some advantages of carpooling:
- Reduced carbon emission– when people start carpooling, fewer cars on the road every day, which means fewer carbons being released into the air. A reduced amount of carbon emissions will help reduce air pollution as well.
- Reduced Traffic– Reduced number of vehicles means less traffic on the road and people will reach their destinations on time. Sitting in traffic for long hours make individuals irritated and bored. Most importantly, it delays the arrival at the destination. Lesser cars mean less traffic.
- Allows saving– Carpooling is an excellent way to save money and time. One can save money from the costs of travelling, including the fuels of cars. Time will also be saved, as there will be less traffic.
- Fuels costs will reduce – If the number of cars goes less on roads, the demand for fuels will also decrease, and the reduced demand will not raise the fuel prices much.
- An opportunity to socialise – Many people who work together do not get a chance to socialise much because they do not get the time or may not get the chance to do so. Carpooling together will allow them to spend time and socialise with each other.
Following are some disadvantages of carpooling:
- Less privacy- Some people prefer privacy while travelling. Those individuals will have to compromise with their privacy.
- Different time requirements- Individuals who carpool together may finish works at different times or may need to reach their destination differently. It becomes a problem when carpooling.
Carpooling may be an effective way to reduce significant issues like air pollution and heavy traffic, and its advantages come with some disadvantages. It is advised to discuss those disadvantages and figure out solutions or alternative options so carpooling can happen successfully. Companies and institutions should consult with their employees/students about carpooling as an option for their travelling.