The tourism sector got heavily affected across the globe due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Tourism is an excellent source of income for numerous countries. That happens with tourists’ consumption of goods and services, the collection of taxes from businesses in the industry at various levels. Services industries linked with tourism certainly generate employment opportunities.
Services the industries provide include taxis and cruise ships, accommodation services like bars, hotels, restaurants, and entertainment places, including some hospitality industry services, namely resorts and spas.
The tourism industry prepares one for managing time judiciously, transportation and accommodation provisions and legal authorisation for travelling across the globe. It’s essential to take proper care of your health during the travel time as it requires a person to move from one place to another.
Tourism is one of the world’s largest industries and a developing one; it has become a well-known leisure activity in many countries. According to the World Tourism Organisation, a person who “travels to and stays in places outside his usual environment for not more than one consecutive year for leisure” refers to a tourist.
Advantages of Tourism Industry
- Wealth accumulation: For various nations, the wealth generated from the tourism sector becomes a key and a primary source. Hence, the countries are eager to promote the tourism industry aggressively.
- Exploration of a site: Several countries rely largely upon travel expenditures by people coming from outside the country, which become a source of taxation and income for the enterprises. So, tourism development is often a strategy to foster a specific region aiming to raise commerce through the export of goods and services. Developing countries will be able to revamp their services such as roads, highways. The money generated from them offers security and opportunities to flourish from poor infrastructure. It becomes crucial for the well-being of a nation.
- Employment generation: After investing in multiple places such as heritage structures, significantly influences the economy by providing jobs to local citizens. Restaurants and hotels are some of the examples where they could be seeking potential employees. It opens a space for everyone to contribute to the process.
- Unity: Tourism encourages unity between people of different backgrounds, colours and traditions. Diversity becomes an essential factor here. It permits people to know and understand more about each country’s history and culture. Numerous people visit culturally organised places. It develops connections between different people from all backgrounds across the world. It exhorts lasting political, economic and social relationships.
- Conservation: The money also safeguards and preserves local wildlife, including historical monuments or sites within rural and urban belts.
Once an area or structure is a part of the tourism sector, it assists to financially endorse the country because it lures tourists who generate wealth for the nation.
Disadvantages of Tourism Industry:
- Negative effect on the environment: Many people come to a specific country from various countries, which damages the environment, particularly at destinations that are immensely prominent and in large numbers. Several vehicles pass by, and the intense activity enables carbon monoxide production at a specific place. Many people also visit from within the country and do not practice sustainability as well.
- Culture exploitation: Various tourists have zeal and enthusiasm for the prominent lifestyles and traditions. The commercialisation of culture happens and affects local people adversely.
- Influence of foreign business: There are several instances when hotels, travel agencies or restaurants within the boundary of well-known tourist hotspots. Companies outside the country own them. Generally, they make profits from within the country and local businesses as well people there miss out.