Some well-known industries in Jamshedpur are:
- Tata Steel
- Tata Electric Company
- Tata Motors
- Indian Steel & Wire Products
- Usha Martin Industries
- Tata Pigments
- Tata Ryerson, etc.
- Jamshetji Nusserwanji Tata: The founder of Jamshedpur City, born on 3rd March 1839. He laid the foundation of Iron and Steel Works in Jamshedpur.
- Sir Dorabji Tata: The eldest son of Jamshetji and the first chairman of Tata Enterprise. Born on 27 August 1859.
- Jehangir Ratanji Dadabhai Tata: Born in 1904, JRD Tata was the pioneer of civil aviation and introduced air transport in India in 1932, which later became Air India. Apart from numerous national and international honours, he was also conferred with the highest civilian award Bharat Ratna in 1992.
- Jubille Park: Built on the same pattern as that of Brindavan Garden, Bangalore, this park spreads over an area of 200 acres. This park was a gift from Tata Steel Company to the citizens of Jamshedpur, on its Golden Jubilee Year. This park is covered with a rose garden, lake and an amusement park, which make it favourite for joggers and walkers. A musical fountain at the center adds to the beauty of the garden.
- Hudco Lake: Nestled in the hilly terrain of the Telco Colony, this park has become a picnic spot for its visitors. This park is embellished with an artificial waterfall and a man-made lake.
- JRD Tata Sports Complex: Known as one of the premier sports complex in India, this complex was founded in 1937. The main attraction of this complex is its international size football ground and its eight-lane mono-synthetic track. Facilities for all kinds of sports like handball, volleyball, hockey and table tennis are available here.
|Lat Long||22.804662, 86.203192|
|Area||150 km2 (60 sq mi)|
|Population as per 2011||629,659|
|Official Languages||Hindi and English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Transport||Air, Road, Rail|
|Vehicle registration||JH 05|
|Food and Cuisine||Bihar and Bengali Dishes – Dal, Chawal, Roti, Sabzi, Sattu, Boiled Potatoes, Pua etc.|
|Religion||Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Jainism and Sikhism|
|Festival||Teej, Diwali, Holi, Makar Sankranti, Durga Puja, Christmas, Id-ul-fitr, Chhath, Guru Parv, Sri Jamshedji Tata Celebrate etc.|
|Monuments||Dimna Lake, Jubilee Park, Golmuri Golf Course, Keenan Stadium, JRD Tata Sports Complex etc.|
|Places of interest||Jubilee park, Dimna Lake, Dalma Hills, Tata Steel Zoological Park, Chandil dam, Rivers Meet, Hudco Lake, Centre for Excellence (CE), Sir Dorabji Tata Park, Moolgaokar Park, Bhuvneswari temple,Amusement Park,Laser Show,Picnic Spots, JRD Tata Sports Complex, Namda Park Fountain, Bat Island, Jayanti Sarovar, Dimna Dam, Rose Garden, Jublie Lake, Ganesh Mela, Keenan Stadium etc.|
|Markets||Bistupur Market, Sakchi Market, Jugsalai Market, Kamani Center, Akashdeep Plaza. Sakchi Market, Bistupur Main Market, Kharangajhar, Plaza Market, Azad Market and Sector Market, Big Bazaar etc.|
|Hospital||Tata Main Hospital, Elite Multispecialty Hospital, Meherbai Tata Memorial Hospital, Mercy Hospital, Baridih Homeopathy Dispensary, Awadh Dental College and Hospital, M G M Hospital, Railway Hospital, Ganga Memorial Hospital, Apex Hospital, The Apollo Clinic, Brahmananda Narayana Multispeciality Hospital etc.|
|Hotel||Hotel Ganga Regency, Yashwee International, The Boulevard Hotel, Hotel Alcor, Fortune Hotel Centre Point, Ginger Hotel, Hotel Smita, Hotel Dayal International, The Boulevard Hotel etc.|
|Industries||Tata Steel, Tata Motors, Tata Power, Lafarge Cement, Usha Martin, BOC Gases, Praxair, Tinplate, Telcon, Tata Robins Frazer, Tata Ryerson, Timken India, Tata Bluescope, Jamipol, TGS, TAYO, Tata Pigments, Tata Tube Division, ISWP, UCIL, JUSCO etc.|
|University/College||National Institute of Technology, Institute of National Importance, Shavak Nanavati Technical Institute (SNTI), Netaji Subhas Institute of Business Management, Netaji Subhas Institute of Education for B.Ed, Wings Institute of Technology & Management, B.A College of Engineering and Technology, M.G.M. Medical College, Government Polytechnic, Karim City College, Abdul Bari Memorial College, Jamshedpur Co-Operative College, Jamshedpur Women's College, RVS College of Engineering & Technology, Govind Vidyalaya etc.|
|Notable people||Varun Raymond Aaron - Cricketers, Priyanka Chopra - Actress, Tanushree Dutta - Actress, Sanjivan Lal - Filmmaker, Imtiaz Ali - Hindi Film Director, R. Madhavan - Actor, Writer, Poducer, Television Presenter etc.|
Last Updated on: July 7, 2014