Dilli ka Lal Qila (Delhi’s Red Fort) is a popular tourist attraction in Delhi
Dilli ka Lal Qila (Delhi’s Red Fort) is counted among the ‘best’ and ‘must see’ places in the capital city. Undoubtedly, the history associated with this magnificent structure exemplifies the royalty of the Mughals and honours the struggle against the British. Made of red sandstone, the Red Fort is spread over 250 acres and is high on architectural styling, particularly a blend of Indian, European and Persian architecture.
Location: Netaji Subhash Road, Chandni Chowk, New Delhi
Nearest Metro Station: Chandni Chowk
Timings: Sunrise to Sunset
Closed on: Mondays
Entry Fee: Rs. 20 (Indians), Rs. 250 (Foreigners)
- Lahore Gate: This is the main entrance gate.
- Chatta Chowk: A covered bazaar (market) where you can get handicrafts and souvenirs.
- Diwan-i-Aam: Hall of Public Audiences, which is ornamented with beautiful panels.
- Diwan-i-Khas: This huge pillared hall is the Hall of Private Audience.
- Moti Masjid: A small mosque with marble carvings
- Hayat Bakhsh Bagh or “Life-Bestowing Garden”: Comprises of fountains, pavilions, tanks and a wide variety of flowers and trees.
- Hammams or the Royal Baths: Built entirely in marble
- Zenana: Pavilions that served as women quarters.
- Rang Mahal or the Palace of Colours: It is decorated with mirror-work and a gold and silver ceiling.
- Light and Sound Show: It starts at 6 pm and showcases the main highlights of the Mughal History in both, English and Hindi. You will have to buy additional ticket for the show.
- Carry water with you, no eatables are allowed inside.
- Beware of pick-pocketing and touts.
- Attend the Light and Sound Show. It is indeed interesting.
- Bargain while you shop at Chatta Chowk. Everything there is over-priced.
Once you are free after exploring the monument, you can go shopping, or on an eating spree at Chandni Chowk market. Try the paranthas at the Paranthe Wali Gali. You will love them!
For more details, you may refer to the following:
About Red Fort
Red Fort Images
Tourist places in Delhi
Delhi Metro Map
How to reach Delhi