The city, a top tourist spot of Rajasthan, is the sixth largest in Rajasthan, as well as the headquarters of the Udaipur district.
The city is very well connected by road and rail. Udaipur is connected by NH 76 to Chittorgarh and by NH8 to Ahmadabad and Rajasmand in Gujarat. Both the highways cut across the city. As NH 8 is part of the golden Quadrilateral connecting Delhi and Mumbai, Udaipur falls midway on its route and is equidistance from each metro. Most of the urban development is on this part of the city, near the highways, as this north east part of the city has few lakes and more of plain area. Some of the residential colonies are Shabri Colony, Mahavir Colony, and Ashok Nagar.
Udaipur is famed for its numerous man-made lakes, landscaped gardens, and Rajput palaces, many of which are now converted into luxury hotels. It gets a number of foreign and domestic tourists for its culture and the royal ambience. The city is dotted with old havelis and temples. Some of the hotels in the city are Anand Bhawan, Taj Lake Palace, Monalisa, Chandra Prakash, Shalimar, and Keerti.
Landmarks of Udaipur
- Pichola Lake is an artificial lake with islands located within it. The lake was created in the 13th century.
- Lake Palace is a palace now converted into a heritage hotel, lying in Pichola Lake.
- Jagmandir is an island palace within the Pichola Lake.
- Fateh Sagar Lake is an artificial lake constructed by the Maharana Fateh Singh. It lies in the north of the Pichola Lake.
- Maharana memorial is a park in the north of the city. It has a bronze statue of Maharana Pratap.
- Saheliyon -Ki-Bari is a beautiful garden landscaped with fountains and water channels, in the northern part of the city.
- Amba mata mandir
- Ganeshji mandir
- Halon Ki masjid
- Kumharon ka bhatta
- Sukhadia circle a round- about in the north of the city is a well known landmark.
- Ahar Museum in the east of the city contains over nineteen cenotaphs of Maharajas of Mewar. It displays sculptures and archeological finds.
- Maharana Sanskrit College
- Meera Girls College
- Maharana Bhopal College
- Sukhadia University