Ayodhya, capital of the ancient Hindu kingdom of Kosala, is located in the Faizabad district of Uttar Pradesh. It is situated on the banks of the river Ghaghra, which is locally known as Saryu. Ayodhya is famous as the city of Lord Rama, the seventh incarnation of Lord Vishnu. It is considered to be the birthplace of Rama, according to the Hindu holy book Ramayana.
Places to Visit in Ayodhya
For those looking to dig into the religious legacy of the city, or for those who simply love to explore, the following places are recommended:
- Hanuman Garhi is a Hanuman temple with 76 steps outside. It is believed that the wishes of the pilgrims are fulfilled if they climb these 76 steps of the temple.
- Ramkot is one of the most sacred attractions for Hindu pilgrims. The number of visitors here doubles on "Rama Navami", the birthday of Lord Rama. Ayodhya also houses the site of cremation of Rama, Swarg Dwar.
- Nageshwarnath Temple, constructed by Kush, one of Rama's sons, depicts the worship of Lord Shiva by the Nagas (semi-divine snake people).
- Kaleram ka Mandir is another temple of Lord Rama in Ayodhya. Erected by the Raja of Kulu, the temple exhibits the idols of Lord Rama, Sita, Bharat and Lakshman. It is believed that these idols have been created from a single black sandstone.
- Kanak Bhawan, also known as 'Sone ka Ghar', is a temple famous for the idols of Rama and Sita adorned with crowns made of gold.
Highlights of Ayodhya:
- Ram Navmi Mela (April)
- Ram Lila (September and early October)
The nearest airports are:
- Chaudhary Charan Singh Airport in Lucknow (134 km)
- Bumrauli Airport in Allahabad (166 km)
The nearest railway stations are:
- Ayodhya Railway Station (05278) 232023.
- Faizabad Railway Station
- Saket Express (Mumbai-Faizabad)
- Doon Express (Howrah-Dehradun)
- Jammu Tawi Express (Sealdah)
- Ganga Yamuna Express (Bhiwani/Delhi-Varanasi/Danapur)
- Saryu Yamuna Express (Delhi-Varanasi)
- Sabarmati Express (Muzaffarpur-Ahmedabad)
- Lucknow - 134 km
- Gorakhpur - 132 km
- Jhansi - 441 km
- Allahabad - 166 km
- Sravasti - 109 km
- Varanasi - 209 km
- Gonda - 51 km
- Ayodhya UPSRTC Bus Stand - (05278) 232067.
- Faizabad UPSRTC Bus Stand - (05278) 222964.
- Regional Tourist Office, House No. 1-3/152/4, near Pusparaj Guest House, Civil Lines, Faizabad, UP. Contact: (05278) 223214.
- UP Assistant Tourist Office, Pathik Niwas Saket, Near Railway Station, Ayodhya. Contact: (05278) 232435.
UP Tourism Accommodation
- Pathik Niwas Saket, near Railway Station, Ayodhya. Contact: (05278) 232435
- UPSTDC Yatri Niwas, Naya Ghat, Ayodhya
- Sri Ram Hotel: (05278) 232512, 232474
- Ram Dham Guest House: (05278) 232791
- Ram Anugsah Vishram Sadan: (05278) 223142, 223146
- Janaki Mahal Trust Dharamshala: (05278) 232032
- Birla Dharamshala: (05278) 232252
- Gujrat Bhawan Dharamshala: (05278) 232075
- Kanak Bhawan Dharamshala: (05278) 232024
- Jain Dharamshala: (05278) 232308
- Tirupati Hotel: (05278) 223231/222448
- Hotel Alka Raje: (05278) 222027
- Abha Hotel: (05278) 222930, 222550
- Avantika Hotel: (05278) 220472
- Shane-Awadh: 05278-223586
- Krishna Palace: (05278) 221367
Last Updated on : 31/10/2013