Chicken Kali Mirch or Chicken Kali Mirchi is a signature dish of the Mughlai cuisine-rich, spicy, and with a unique aroma. Since the Mughal era, it has been a crowd puller and is amongst hot favourites. This cuisine is mostly preferred by people during the winter season. The reason behind this is, the heat generated by the black pepper in the body is considered good for countering the effects of the winter season.
Ingredients needed for Chicken Kali Mirch
- ½ KG Chicken Boneless
- 3 Chopped Onions
- Cashew Paste
- 200 gm Curd
- Black Pepper
- Coriander Powder
- Cumin Powder
- Green Chili
- Garam Masala
- Desi Ghee
- Ginger Garlic Paste
- Dry Fenugreek
- Cumin Seeds
- Coriander Leaves
- Mint Leaves
How to make Chicken Kali Mirch
- For marinating the Chicken, take a bowl and add curd to it. Add 1 ½ tablespoon of Black Pepper, 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder, 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder and mix them thoroughly.
- Cut the boneless Chicken into 2-inch pieces and add the pieces to the marinade. Cover the marinated chicken and keep it in a cool place for a minimum of half an hour.
- Now keep a kadhai on the stove on medium flame and when it is hot enough, add 3 tablespoons of Desi Ghee to it.
- Add a pinch of Cumin Seeds when the Ghee is hot enough. Once they start popping, add 2 teaspoon of Ginger Garlic paste to it and cook it for minimum 1 minute to make sure the paste is properly cooked.
- Once the paste is cooked, add chopped Onions to it. Finely chop 3 Green Chilies and add them to the kadhai.
- Sauté the onions till they are golden brown. Add 1 ½ tablespoon of Black Pepper, 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder, 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder, 1 tablespoons Garam masala and cook the spices along with the onions.
- If the onions start sticking to the bottom of the kadhai, add small amount of water and make sure that onions are properly cooked and are in a mushy/paste state.
- Add marinated chicken along with the marinade to the kadhai and mix it well.
- Cover it and simmer the stove for 5 minutes. Let the chicken cook and stir the curry at small intervals.
- For the preparation of Cashew Paste, take a pan and put 200 ml water in it. Add 15-20 cashew nuts to the pan and let the water boil. Check the nuts, once they are soft, take them off the stove and grind the nuts along with water to a paste once it cools down.
- Add the cashew paste to the kadhai and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add salt accordingly. The reason for adding salt this late is because if added earlier it won’t allow onions to cook properly
- Add a pinch of Dried Fenugreek Leaves to the kadhai and mix it well.
- Check the chicken to see if properly done, and add water if required. If done, switch off the stove.
- Add a pinch of Black Pepper on top and garnish it with fresh Coriander and Mint leaves. It is ready to be served.
Some Other Chicken Recipes: