It’s the festival time and there are lot of people coming to convey the season’s greetings with gifts and all. This also means you need to be ready with some quick snack or food at home to serve. Dahi Vada is one such item which serves the dual purpose of chaat or snack and can be served with the main meals as well. The vada is made with a mixture of lentils deep-fried in oil and cooled and then served with yogurt mixed with dry spices. It’s recommended that the cooled vada be soaked in water for about an hour before serving, for best results. Dahi Vada easily lasts 2-3 days, so this festive season keep this chaat ready at home, for you never know who comes visiting and when. Serve and enjoy with this Dahi Vada Recipe.
Ingredients needed for Dahi Vada
- Dhuli Urad Dal – 1 cup
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Hing – 1/2 tsp
- Cashew nuts – 8 to 10, split in halves
- Raisins – 8 to 10
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Dahi – 3 cup
- Imli chutney – 1 tbsp
- Roasted zeera powder – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnishing (optional)
How to make Dahi Vada
- Soak the dal for about an hour, drain and grind into a batter.
- Add the dry spices and mix well. Make sure the mixing gets some air into the batter.
- In a pan, heat the oil.
- Take a small batter and form a vada shape, add cashew and raisins, cover with your fingers and then deep fry in oil till golden brown.
- Drain the oil and soak in water. Keep aside.
- Place the vadas in the serving dish.
- Add whisked dahi all over.
- Add imli chutney.
- Garnish with salt, red chili powder, roasted zeera powder and garam masala.
- Garnish with coriander leaves (optional).
- Serve cooled.