Dharwad, a small town in northern Karnataka is all too famous for its delicious sweet, Dharwad Peda. I’m all too blessed to have friends from this region who bring these mouth-watering peda every time they are travelling. The town hosts some of the old and traditional shops selling these peda. This light brown coloured peda is garnished with sugar giving its traditional appeal. Having had it so many times, I wanted to make them once myself and see if I could do some justice to this regional sweet. The peda came out absolutely wonderful and I’ll enjoy them for a few days. If you too want to enjoy this sweet, whether you are from any part of India or abroad, use this simple Dharwad Peda Recipe. Make it on a festival or just generally, enjoy it any time you want.
Ingredients needed for Dharwad Peda
- Khoya – 1 cup
- Sugar – 3/4 cup (vary as per your liking) + 1 tbsp for garnishing
- Desi ghee – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 1 tbsp
- Green cardamom – 4 to 5
How to make Dharwad Peda Recipe
Making time: 1 hour 30 min.
- Blend the sugar to make a powder and keep aside.
- Heat desi ghee in a kadhai and add khoya to it to fry.
- Keep frying with constant stirring till the khoya turns light brown in colour.
- Powder the cardamom and add it to the mixture with 3/4 cup powdered sugar.
- Add milk and keep frying for another 5 min.
- Let it cool, then knead it lightly.
- Make lemon sized balls and roll them in rest of powdered sugar for garnishing.