Spices have played an important role in the Indian cuisine. Time and again I keep getting surprised by discoveries of new flavours from the usage of different spices. This time, it’s the nutmeg powder along with fennel seeds (saunf) giving a refreshing taste to potatoes in Jaiphali Aaloo. This dish comes from the State of Rajasthan and is perfectly chosen out for an everyday meal. Very easy and simple to make this can change the taste of your everyday food to something special, equally this can increase the appeal of your party menu. Aaloo or potatoes are generally all versatile when mixed with other vegetables, but this time use this Jaiphali Aaloo Recipe to see them bring the magic on their own. Enjoy!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Aaloo – 4 large
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Zeera – 1 tsp
- Ginger – 1 tsp (finely chopped)
- Green chilli – 1 to 2 (chopped)
- Nutmeg powder – 1 tsp
- Saunf powder – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Dhania leaves for garnishing
How to make Jaiphali Aaloo
Preparation time: 15 min.
Cooking time: 20 min.
- Peel and cut the potatoes in small cubes.
- Soak them in water for 10 to 15 min.
- Heat the water in a pan and boil potatoes with 1 tbsp salt till they are almost done. Drain the water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadhai, add zeera and let it crackle.
- Add ginger and green chilli with potatoes and fry for 1 to 2 min.
- Add nutmeg powder, saunf powder, coriander powder and salt and fry for another 3 to 4 min.
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with dhania leaves
- Serve hot.
259 total views, 2 views today