Assam lies on the Eastern borders of India and has contributed to our culture and traditions. Like any typical Indian state, Assam also brings its own taste to the Indian platter. So I thought of picking an Assamese recipe for today. Koldil is an Assamese name for banana flower, which is used in many recipes in this region, so I made a chicken curry using this flower. The Koldil Chicken curry came with a very unique taste and went well for my dinner. I’m sure you too would like to try out this recipe and enjoy its great taste. So a big cheers to our Assamese friends and here is Koldil Chicken Recipe just for you!
- Chicken – 800 gms (curry cut)
- Koldil (banana flower) – 1 to 2
- Onion – 2 (chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Dry red chilies – 4
- Green chilies – 3 to 4 (split in halves)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dahi – 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Oil – 4 tbsp
Method of preparation
Preparation time: 10 min.
Cooking time: 40 min.
- Wash and peel the banana flower to get the white flower inside, chop and dip in water with 1 tsp lemon juice. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai, fry onions till light-brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste, dry red chilies and green chili and fry till onions are golden brown.
- Add all the dry masala, dahi and fry till the oil leaves the sides.
- Add chicken and chopped banana flower and cook till chicken is done.
- Serve hot.