Mathri is a typical Indian snack which has been served since a long time. It has been part of many festivals, rituals and special moments. The recipe of Mathri has been passed on for generations through mothers and grandmothers. I too have been a recipient of such a recipe, which is what I share with you today. In the recipe, methi is added to maida to make the dough for the preparation and then rolled and deep fried to make delicious Methi Mathri. It can be served in breakfast or snack and everyone just loves it, it goes well with some aam ka aachar. You can make and keep for few days in an air-tight container and serve when needed. I make it small size, while you can alter it to make slightly bigger size if you need. So here is the recipe for Methi Mathri for your personal use.
Ingredients (makes 45-50 small size mathri)
- Maida – 3 cup
- Methi leaves – 1 cup (cut in small pieces)
- Ajwain – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Saunf – 1/2 tsp (crushed)
- Amchoor powder – 1/2 tsp
- Green chilli – 2 (cut in small pieces)
- Oil – 1/4 cup + for frying
How to make Methi Mathri
Preparation time: 10 min.
Cooking time: 20 min.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and knead a tight dough using water.
- Heat oil in a kadhai.
- Make discs of desired size using the dough.
- Deep fry the discs on medium heat.
- Drain on a kitchen tissue and store in air-tight container.
- Serve Methi Mathri with some aam ka achaar.