A large number of north Indians loves Non-vegetarian food as it is loaded with numerous spices and flavours. There is a lot of variety in non-vegetarian food. In the southern part of India, most non-veg dishes are cooked in coconut oil which is beneficial for health. The combination of rice and non-vegetarian dishes is very delicious.
Let’s make layered rice with spicy Mughal mutton:
- 3/4 Kg Mutton Leg Pieces
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 Kg Peeled Potatoes
- 3 Large Sliced Onions
- 1 ½ Teaspoons salt
- 20gms Ginger
- 16 Flakes Garlic
- 6 Green Chillies
- 1 Chopped Tomato
- 6 Dry Plums
- 6 Almonds
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Red Chilli powder
- Two tablespoons coriander leaves
- Two tablespoons mint leaves
- Two tablespoons garam masala
- One tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 cup curd
- Large pinch saffron dissolved in 1 tablespoon hot water
- 6 cups + 5 tablespoons water
- One tablespoon salt
- 2 ½ cups basmati rice
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 Green Cardamoms
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
Grind together ginger, garlic and chillies into a paste.
- Rub the ground paste into the meat. Add all the ingredients Marinade. Mix well and keep aside for four hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil for about five minutes lightly fries the potatoes. Remove and add potatoes to the marinated meat and mix well.
- Divide the onions into two batches. In the remaining oil in the pan, fry each batch with 3/4 teaspoon salt till onions get golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the onions in a strainer to drain off excess oil. Crumple the fried onions and mix with marinated meat.
- For the layered rice, pour 6 cups of water into the cooker. Bring to a boil on high heat. Add salt and rice and stir once.
- Close cooker. Bring to full pressure on high heat. Remove the cooker immediately from heat. Reduce pressure by placing it in a basin of cold water for about 2 minutes.
- Open the cooker and transfer the rice to a colander, and drain.
- Heat 7 tablespoons of ghee in the cooker for about two minutes. Add meat along with the marinade and mix well; now add the remaining five tablespoons of water.
- Remove the cooker from heat. Tilt it and shift meat to one side of it. Add rice to the other side. Sprinkle milk on rice.
- In a pan, heat the remaining ghee for about one minute. Remove the pan from heat. Now add cardamoms and caraway seeds to hot ghee and pour evenly over rice.
- Close the cooker. Bring to full pressure on high heat. Reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cooker from heat and allow it to cool naturally.
- Open the cooker, Transfer rice into a serving dish and top it with the spicy mutton.
- Serve hot with onion salad, Mint Chutney or curd.