What we eat plays an important role when it comes to our health and development. Special attention must be paid to the diet of young children, as it is essential for their growth and brain development. The growing years of a child are very crucial. If children are given the proper amount of food nutrients from a young age, it ultimately gives out a positive outcome in their future. A balanced diet along with some physical activities will keep the children happy and healthy.
It is also important to understand the proportion size of foods being given to young children. Remember to pay attention to the time of every meal along with the proportion, because the foods alone cannot provide all the benefits.
Following are the top 5 foods that are a must for children:
- Eggs – Eggs are rich in protein and omega-3. Protein helps in the production and regeneration of cells in the body. Omega 3 is beneficial for a child’s cognitive development. Egg provides energy to function the entire day, so it is advised to serve during the morning for breakfast.
- Milk – Kids grow up by drinking milk, first their mother’s milk, then the cow’s milk. Cow milk is enriched with calcium, which is vital for the development of the bone and the strength of the muscles. It also contains Vitamin-D, which is vital for bone density, Vitamin-A that helps in the development of the vision and gives the strength to fight against infections.
- Fish – Including fish in the diet of children is essential because it contains Omega-3, DHA, and vitamins, which contribute to the development of the brain. It also keeps the heart-healthy.
- Fruits and Vegetables – Fruits are enriched with certain types of vitamins and minerals, fibre, potassium, etc., that are beneficial in the growth and development of a child. Fruits such as apples, bananas, grapes, kiwi, orange, strawberries, and watermelon are suggested to serve at least once every day. Vegetables are also rich in many nutrients but are often not preferred by kids. However, kids love having French fries, but this does not get counted. Vegetables such as carrots, tomatoes, broccoli, beans, and spinach are enriched with vital properties for the growth and development of a child.
- Nuts – Almonds and Walnuts are enriched with magnesium, vitamin-like properties, which help blood circulation, brain development, and secretion of certain hormones. Remember to do an allergy test for giving nuts to children, and sometimes they may have allergies.
The diet of young children should consist of a combination of the types of food mentioned above. Every kind of food has its benefits that are vital for a child’s growth and development. It is also advised to serve the food in different healthy dishes, so the children are not bored and do not refuse to eat.