My late father was a very big fan of Guru Gobind Singh, he was totally sold out to many of his teachings. My formative opinion about the 10th Guru, follows his core values shared by my father almost on a daily basis:
- Guru Gobind Singh believed that whatever he attained and possessed was because of the people who believed in him, but for their belief, he (Guru Gobind Singh) believed that he would have been yet another amongst unknown tens of millions.
- Guru Gobind Singh stated in these words that anyone who equates him (Guru Gobind Singh) with almighty would go to hell. Guru Sahib always wished to be considered a disciple/ servant of the almighty.
- Guru Sahib believed in the power of good deed and determination. He (Guru sahib) believed that if you determine, the victory shall be yours.
Over past a few years, I have also become a fan of Guru Sahib, I find his teachings fairly contemporary and easy to understand. here are ten of his teachings which make a difference to my life.
- Almighty is wisdom and wisdom rests in the “word”. Running around for salvation has nothing to do with being a Sikh.
- As a Sikh you forgo the option of not doing good for society at large. Do good, even if it takes your life away.
- Never be shy of doing a good deed. While doing it, don’t be scared, determine and the victory shall be yours!
- Always work towards filtering out lust, wrath, haughtiness, greed, obstinacy & attachment in your mind.
- Pure conduct and patience, always. You can’t pick and choose to be pure in your conduct or demonstrate patience.
- Good deeds need to be done as part of your daily routine, can’t be telling yourself that you will do them one fine day.
- You need to be open to learning from everyone, including those who consider you as their teacher.
- Blessings of your teachers and almighty can’t be taken for granted.They are only with you till you do good deeds.
- It is only by the benevolence of people around you that you have an entity called you.
- All inhabitants of this world have one common caste.