It is rightly said, “You may love him, you may hate him, but you can’t ignore him”. Yes, that’s the power of Salman Khan, the superstar of Bollywood. The star has given 8 back-to-back super-hit movies and all the movies have crossed the Rs. 100 crore mark. He is going through the best period of his life for the last few years professionally and that shows his Midas touch to make every flick successful. The last few movies of Salman Khan that have brought him to the superstar category are: Wanted released in 2009, Dabangg, released in 2010, Ready and Bodyguard in 2011, Ek Tha Tiger and Dabang 2 in 2012, Jai Ho released in 2014 and the latest Kick in 2014. Salman Khan’s Kick is not only doing well in India but also raking in the moolah overseas.
What is there to see in a Salman Khan movie?
The question now is what is there to see in a Salman’s Khan movie? Why there is so much craze for Salman Khan and his movies? Is it the story, the music, or simply the name “SALMAN KHAN”? His movies are pure fun, entertaining, full of action and comedy. That is why, critics say, you leave your brains behind while watching a Salman Khan movie. He is a pure entertainer. From masses to classes, from children to adults, he has a massive fan following.
The moment he appears on the screen, you get to hear a wild response from the crowd. He just sleepwalks through his role. He has a significant screen presence that people love to watch him, even if the film has no head or tail as far as the story is concerned. Despite all controversies, his fans adore him. Today in the Bollywood film industry, this 48-year old star is an icon.
His punches and one-liners
The entire nation gets wild by his power-packed dialogues and dance moves. Each hit film of his has one trademark one-liner that makes his fans go wild. Some of his most popular one-liners are:
- “Ek Baar Jo Maine Commitment Kardi To Main Apne Apki Bhi Nahi Sunta”
- “Hum yaahan ke Robinhood hai, Robinhood Pandey,”
- “Mujh par ek ehsan karna ki mujh par koi ehsan na karna”
- “Teen cheezo ko kabhi underestimate mat karna; I, me and myself.”
….and many more such interesting dialogues that fans incorporate in their real-life situations too.
Of his crazy fans
- In the movie Jai Ho, the superstar is riding a bike in an action-packed scene and a cab with the number MH 01BM 1610 is sharing the big screen with the actor. Such is the intensity of the craziness of the fans that a huge number of TABcab drivers offered higher rent to drive this very cab. In fact, while shooting the scene, Salman Khan even interacted with the TABcab drivers and for them it was a dream cum true to meet the superstar in person.
- It happens only in India. In 2012, a Salman Khan fan robbed and murdered an employee from a courier firm in Mumbai. When he was asked about the reason for murder, he simply said, “Maine jo ek baar commitment kar dee toh phir main apne aap ki bhi nahin sunta‘.
- During the release of the movie Kick, some fans came with garlands to put it on the film posters outside the theatres. A crazy fan decorated his scooter with Kick stickers. Some came wearing the Kick mask.
- Whether it is a Diwali or Eid release, fans look forward to his movies and do not hesitate to see first day first show in spite of a celebration at home.
- Bollywood star Shilpa Shetty’s husband, Raj Kundra, was severely slammed and criticised by Salman’s fans when he said in a recent interview that Salman Khan doesn’t earn as much as him.
- People are so crazy about him that every morning, you see many people flocking around his Bandra home, just to catch a glimpse of him.
He is a style icon
People try to emulate his style, his dialogue, his dancing moves, his tapori style, his clothes, including his turquoise bracelet. He is one of the only three actors in Bollywood who have made it in People’s Magazine, the other two being Dharmendra and Hritik Roshan.
He is a style icon for the youth and whatever he does is admired by his fans. At one point of time, he was the chocolate boy, the most popular pin-up poster boy with his soft looks, lovely smile and heart-warming appearance. Today he is a macho man. He became the shirtless, the bare chest hero of Bollywood and others followed suit. His Tere Naam Hairstyle, his towel dance movement in Mujhse Shaadi Karoge, the Chulbul Pandey character with his moustache and the Dabang glasses – there is a long list for which Salman’s style has become a rage all over the country. His uber cool T-shirts and accessories are the most trendy fashion accessories for his fans.
A man with a golden heart
He is a man with a golden heart who is always known for his help and support towards others in times of distress. He has helped many youngsters launch their careers in Bollywood. He has re-launched the career of many of his co-stars. He has also helped many people outside the industry, whether they are known to him or not personally. He has set up his own charitable trust by the name of “Being Human” for helping the cause of the poor and the underprivileged. In fact, on the auspicious occasion of EID this year, he announced that his NGO “Being Human” will provide free treatment to 100 heart patients. He is rightly called “Salman Bhai” for this helping his nature.
The people’s star of all times
No matter what critics say, no matter what the media tells about him, no matter what his controversies and love affairs are, people love and adore him. Only Salman Khan can turn an ordinary film into a blockbuster movie. No fans of his come for the film’s storyline or content. The fans come to watch ‘Salman Khan’, their idol. Fans love this “Bollywood’s bad boy with a heart of gold”. He is actually the people’s star and will remain one forever.