Ghaziabad is a major industrial hub in North India. The city also serves as the administrative headquarters of the district of the same name. Previously, the city formed a part of the Meerut district following the freedom of the country. Because of its developed transportation infrastructure, it is dubbed as the Gateway of Uttar Pradesh.
The city is named after its founder, Ghazi-ud-din. Initially it was known as Ghaziuddinnagar, however, afterwards the name was changed to Ghaziabad. The Advanced Level Telecommunication Training Centre, ALTTC is situated in this Indian city. The convene facilities offered by Ghaziabad India really deserves appreciation. The major industries of Ghaziabad is the manufacturing of railway coaches, bicycles, tapestries, diesel engines, glassware, heavy chains, pottery and many more.
Presently a huge number of shopping malls and multiplexes are constructed in the city. On the other hand, the flyovers have improved the road conditions. According to the report of 2006, this city has been included among the 10 most dynamic Indian cities around the globe.
The educational facilities offered by Ghaziabad are also satisfactory. It houses a series of management institutions and engineering colleges. Apart from these, there are also some physiotherapy institutes and dental colleges. In true sense, Ghaziabad is a prosperous city.
With the course of time the medical and health centres are growing at a fast pace. The government plays a great role in this field of health care. In Gaziabad there is a municipal corporation that looks after the welfare of the city dwellers and cater to their basic requirements.
Where is Ghaziabad
The city of Ghaziabad is situated at a distance of 46 km from Meerut, Uttar Pradesh and from Delhi, the distance is 19 km. The distance from the Hindon River is around 2.5 km.
Administrative divisions of Ghaziabad
The district is made up of the following administrative divisions:
- Ghaziabad Municipal Corporation
- Niwari, Loni, Dasna, Patla, Faridnagar, and Babugarh town panchayats
- Modinagar, Muradnagar, Garhmukteshwar, Hapur, and Pilkhuwa municipal councils
Area and population of Ghaziabad
As stated by the census performed in 1991, the district covered a total area of 2590.0 km2. Nevertheless, following the creation of Gautam Budh Nagar, a new district, the area has expanded to 1933.3 km2.
According to the data provided by 2011 census, the number of people living in the district is 4,661,452, which makes it the third most populated district in Uttar Pradesh. The population comprised 2,481,803 men and 2,179,649 women. The district represents about 2.33% of the overall number of people living in Uttar Pradesh.
The density of population is the maximum (Number 1) in the state and the population density is 4060/sq km. In terms of rate of increase in population, the city holds the 2nd rank and the rate is 40.66%. In 2011, the mean literacy rate was 85% and it was the maximum in the state.
The population of the city has grown mostly because of its industrial development and closeness to Delhi, the capital of India.
Weather of Ghaziabad
Since it is closely located to the capital of the country, the weather conditions (temperature and precipitation) are akin to Delhi. The weather is characterized by three major seasons and they are winter, summer, and rainy season. The climate of the area is also influenced by dust storms and snowstorms in the Kumaon Division, the Himalayan Mountain Range, and the Garhwal Mountains.
Residents of Ghaziabad
The various communities living in the district include the following:
- South Indians
- Gadaria (Pal)
Geography of Ghaziabad
Ghaziabad is edged by the Meerut district to the north, by Gautambudh Nagar and Bulandshahar to the south, by the Jyotibaphule Nagar district to the east and by Delhi to the southwest.
The three principal rivers traversing the district are the Yamuna, Ganges, and Hindon Rivers. The other important river running across the area is the Kali River.
What makes Ghaziabad famous?
The city is a prominent industrial hub in the state of Uttar Pradesh. It houses various types of industries, which include the following:
- Manufacturing of Railway Wagons
- Maintenance of electric locomotive and EMU Trains
- Heavy chains
- Varnish and paint
Major corporate houses in the city include the following names:
- Central Electronics Limited
- Bharat Electronics Limited
- Shriram Pistons
- International Tobacco
- Rathi Alloys
- Bhushan Steels
- Allied Nippon Ltd.
- Crophealth Products Pvt. Ltd.
- Samtel Color
In addition, Bharat Electronics Limited is famous for making defense equipments and Muradnagar houses a gun and shell factory. The city of Ghaziabad houses various shopping centers, well designed thoroughfares, and flyovers and is rated as one of the top 10 vibrant cities by Newsweek.
Educational Institutes in Ghaziabad
The most famous educational institutes in Ghaziabad are listed below:
- Ajay Kumar Garg Engineering College
- IMT (Institute of Management and Technology) Ghaziabad
- Inderprastha Dental College & Hospital
- Sri Ganpati Institute of Technology
- Viveknanad Institute of Engineering & Technology
- Babu Banarasi Das Institute of Technology
- Krishna Engineering College
- Academy of Business & Engineering Sciences
- Raj Kumar Goel Institute of Technology
- ITS Law College
- Institute of Teacher Education
- DJ College of Paramedical Sciences
- Institute of Technology & Science
- HR Institute of Hotel Management
- Jaipuria Institute of Management
IMT Ghaziabad regularly ranks as one of the top 10 business schools in the country.
Visitors can reach the place via roadways, air, and railways. Indira Gandhi International Airport is the closest airport and it is located at a distance of approximately 45 km. Many inhabitants of the city travel to cities like NOIDA, Delhi, Gurgaon, and Greater NOIDA for employment on a daily basis. Through roadways, the city is adeptly linked to cities like NOIDA, Delhi, Modinagar, Hapur, Saharanpur, Meerut, and Haridwar.
There is a railway junction in the city and the principal railhead lies in its center. Fast Moving Local Trains known as EMU joins the city with Delhi and other bordering areas. Many trains link the city to the following locations:
- New Delhi
Meerut Road, Lohia Nagar, Mohan Nagar, Vasundhara, and Loni houses bus depots and UPSRTC (Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation) buses run and commute to all the major cities in Uttar Pradesh. The DTC (Delhi Transport Corporation) bus terminus at Anand Vihar lies on the precincts of the city.
The Delhi Metro stretches to Dilshad Garden Station in the city. It lies at the Apsara Border in the suburbs of the area. Currently, the station serves the neighborhoods of Shalimar Garden and other adjoining settlements. By 2012, this service will be additionally stretched to Ghaziabad New Bus Depot.
The Blue Line train service from Dwarka Sector-9 to Anand Vihar has been stretched to Ghaziabad. The city houses two stations and they are Vaishali and Kaushambi. Both of them have been functional since July 14, 2011.
Major Tourist Attractions in Ghaziabad
Given below are the major tourist attractions in the city:
- Located beside Anand Vihar Bus Stand, EDM is one of the oldest shopping centers in the area.
- Shipra Mall. By floor carpet area, it was at one time the largest shopping mall in the country. The mall lies in Indirapuram.
- Wave in NOIDA. It is closely located to Dabur Crossing.
- Pacific Mall Kaushambi is one of the matchless shopping centers in the area. It is closely located to the EDM Shopping Center.
- Adlabs Vaishali. It is closely located to Bhusan Steel Company.
- SM World - Shalimar Garden.
- Shipra Mall. It ranks as one of the famous shopping centers in the National Capital Region (NCR). It is located in the city but only edging Sector 62 of NOIDA.
- Aditya Mega City Mall in Indirapuram.
Other tourist attractions:
- Mohan Nagar Temple
- Ram Manohar Lohia Park
- IME and Supertech
- MMX Mall
- IMAX Dome
Since the city shares its borders with Delhi, it functions as the principal doorway to Uttar Pradesh. Therefore, it is known as the Gateway of Uttar Pradesh as well. The city houses many flea markets, which include Ganta Ghar and Turab Nagar.
Restaurants in Ghaziabad
Given below are the names of the popular venues where you can eat while your stay in Ghaziabad:
- Champions Restaurant and Bar (Raj Nagar)
- Sankalp - Offers South Indian dishes (Raj Nagar)
- Domino's Pizza -Raj Nagar
- Pizza Hut - Raj Nagar
- Vaishno Dhaba - Offers vegetarian Punjabi cuisine. It is situated in Sector 10 Market.
- Cafe Coffee Day - Raj Nagar
- Om Sweets - Famous for delicious chaats. It is located in Sector 10 Market.
- K's Café - Offers Italian and Mexican dishes. It is situated in Sector 10 Market.
- Baskin Robbin's Ice creams. On the way to Sector 10 Market.
- Donald's Bakery - Famous for cakes and bakes. On the way to Sector 10 Market.
- Bikanerwala, close to Turab Nagar.
- Snow World Ice cream Parlour in Kavi Nagar.
Best Hotels in Ghaziabad
Given below are the names of the top hotels in the city:
- Clarks Inn
- Hotel Apple Tree
- Hotel Krishna Sagar
- Mela Plaza
- Shipra Hotel
- Country Inn & Suites by Carlson
- Lemon Tree Hotel
Last Updated on 08/10/2013