Mango Sandesh Recipe
Sandesh is a very popular Bengali sweet made with fresh homemade paneer or chenna. Although there are many sweet recipes which are popular in Bengal, none is closer to sandesh. The traditional sandesh is made with plain chenna and some cardamom and pistachios are added to the base. But to give the traditional recipe a twist, I incorporated some mango pulp in the dough. The recipe is fairly easy to make and the end product is a delicious, melt-in-your-mouth mango sandesh. You can also try it with your favorite fruits like strawberries, banana, etc or make it plain with no flavoring. So here is the recipe.
- Full cream milk – 1 and 1/2 litres
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Powdered sugar – 4 tbsp
- Milk powder – 3 tbsp
- Mango puree – 1 cup
How to make Mango Sandesh
- Boil milk in a heavy-bottom pan.
- When it starts to boil, simmer the heat and add lemon juice.
- The milk will curdle.
- Let it simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and let the milk rest for 10 minutes.
- Strain the milk in a cheese cloth and collect the paneer.
- Hold the cheese cloth under running water and wash nicely to get rid of any lemony smell and taste.
- Hang the cheese cloth for about an hour to drain the excess liquid.
- Remove the chenna from the cloth and mash it nicely with the heels of your hands.
- Add powdered sugar and mash for 2 minutes.
- Add the chenna to a non-stick pan.
- Add mango puree and powdered milk.
- Cook on medium heat till the mixture is thickened to a dough-like consistency and has left the sides of the pan.
- Remove from heat.
- Let it cool.
- Make small balls and flatten a little bit.
- Garnish with pistachio slivers.