Porbandar is an important city located on the seashore of Gujarat, India. The city is mostly renowned for being the hometown of Sudama, the friend of Lord Krishna and Mahatma Gandhi (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi), the famous freedom fighter. The city of Porbandar serves as the administrative headquarters of Porbandar district.
Geographical features of Porbandar
The city lies at 21.63° North and 69.6° east. The mean altitude of the place is 3.32 feet or 1 meter.
Distance from other major places in Gujarat
Given below is the distance of Porbandar from various places in Gujarat:
- Bhavnagar - 300 km
- Ahmedabad - 394 km
- Rajkot - 178 km
- Junagadh - 107 km
- Somnath - 118 km
Demographic features of Porbandar
According to the information provided by the census performed in 2001, the number of people living in Porbandar was 133,083. Females form 49% of the total number of inhabitants and males represent 51% of the population. The mean literacy rate of the area is 73%, which is higher than the countrywide mean of 59.5%. Literacy among women is 67% and literacy among men is 79%. About 11% of the people living in the city are less than the age of six years.
Official languages of Porbandar
The formal languages of the city are Gujarati, Hindi, and English.
Major tourist attractions in Porbandar
The major tourist attractions in Porbandar are as follows:
- Sudama Mandir
- Kirti Mandir (place of birth of Mahatma Gandhi)
- Gita Mandir
- Bharat Mandir
- Ram Dhoon Mandir
- Gayatri Mandir
- Sandipani Vidyaniketan
- Rokadia Hanuman Temple
- Rana Bapu's Mahal
- Bird Sanctuary
- Satyanarayan's Mandir
- Sai Baba Dat Sai Mandir - This temple lies on the national highway. Devotees come to this mandir every Thursday to collect "prasad" of vegetables and khichdi.
- Kamla Nehru Park
- Many vandis (Community hubs)
- Shri Hari Mandir
- Nehru Planetarium
- Ram Krishna Mission
- Tara Mandir: Tara stands for stars in Gujarati language. Tara Mandir is home to an observatory which is one of the two oldest observatories inaugurated in the country by Pandit Shri Jawaharlal Nehru, the then Prime Minister of India.
- Bhutnath Mandir - This temple is situated in front of Bhavshiji Hospital (Civil Hospital)
- Swaminarayan Mandir
- Chadeshwar Mahadev & Ajani Mataji's Temple- This mandir is situated at Somnath Highway. The distance from Porbandar is about 3 km and this temple might belong to the Pandava's period.
Major colleges and educational institutions in Porbandar
The prominent colleges and educational institutes in Porbandar are as follows:
- Sandipani Vidhyaniketan
- Dr V. R. Godhaniya College
- Arya Kanya Gurukul
- Shri K. H. Madhwani College
- Maharshi Dayanand Science College
- Ramba Graduate Teachers' College
- Dhanjibhai D. Kotiyawala Municipal (DDKM) Law College
- Swaminarayan P.T.C. College, Chhaya
- V.J. Modha College
- Swaminarayan Gurukul, Chhaya
- K. B. Joshi High School (Gujarati Medium School)
- The Saint Mary's School
- St Joseph CMI School Adityana
- The M.E.M. School
- The Birlasagar Higher Secondary School
- The Victoria Jubilee (V.J.) Madrasah Boys' and Girls' High School
- Swaminarayan Gurukul
- Kendriya Vidyalaya
- O.N. Modha Vidhayalya
- The Bharti Vidhyalaya Primary and High School for Boys and Girls
- Cham Memorial English & Gujarati Medium School near New Fountain
Transportation system in Porbandar
The regional transportation system of the city depends on the City Bus and this bus service is run by Kargil Parivahn Company. It helps link the important places of the city. Auto rickshaws also ply quite frequently in the city. Private taxis and buses are mostly available from Sudama Chowk.
National Highway 8 or NH 8 joins the city with places like Ahmedabad and Rajkot. State Highway 6, which is also called as National Highway 8E Extension, links the city to the following places:
- Dwarka and Jamnagar to the north
- Bhavnagar and Veraval to the south
- By Rail
By railways, the city of Porbandar is well linked with the following places via direct trains:
- Rajkot (via Jamnagar)
- Mumbai (via Vadodara, Ahmedabad, and Surat)
- By Air
The Porbandar Airport offers regular flights to Mumbai run by Jet Airways.
Scenario of industries in Porbandar
The major industries in the city are cement making and chemical manufacturing. Given below are the names of the major companies and businesses in the city:
- Surahstra (Hathi) Cement Limited.
- SAUKEM (Saurashtra Chemicals Limited)
- GeoSoft Consultancy Services Pvt. Ltd.
- D R Garment Pvt. Ltd.
- Orient Abrasives Ltd.
- Gangotri Dairy Products Pvt. Ltd.
- Silver Sea Food
Major hospitals in Porbandar
The major hospitals in the city are as follows:
- Asha Children Hospital
- Bhavsinhji Hospital
- M K Thakarar Orthopedic Hospital
- Dhamecha Hospital
Last Updated on 04 November 2011