Festivals in April
Here is a list of the festivals celebrated in April.
- Attuvela Mahotsavam (03rd April 2022) - This is a water carnival in Kerala. Illuminated canoes carrying temple replicas cruise through the waters up to the temple premises. Traditional temple percussion music is also played. The centre of attraction is the colourful canoes other than the elephants.
- Ram Navami (10th April 2022) - This festival marks the birth of Lord Rama. This is an event that is celebrated all over India. The celebration is a combination of rituals and musical performances.
- Baisakhi (14th April 2022) - This is the festival that marks the commencement of the Solar year. It is an important festival among Sikhs and is also celebrated in many other states of North India. This is a time for the harvest of crops which is celebrated by a joyous performance of the traditional Punjabi dance of bhangra and gidda.
- Tamil New Year (14th April 2022) - This festival is also known as the Puthandu. On the day of the New Year, there are feasts in every Tamil home. Apart from the entrance, each corner of the house is decorated with kolams or motifs that are drawn with powdered rice.
- Good Friday (15th April 2022) - Jesus Christ was crucified on this day. Therefore the term festival is not appropriate to describe this occasion. However, the day is observed by Christians all over the world when they keep fasts and attend prayer ceremonies in Churches. The same service is held in Churches across the states of India.
- Poila Baisakh (15th April 2022) - This is the first day of the Bengali calendar and is celebrated as the Bengali New Year in both West Bengal and Bangladesh as well as the Bengali communities residing in the Indian states of Assam and Tripura. There is traditional feasting and people wear new clothes. Shop owners and traders also observe this festival as an auspicious day to commence their yearly business.
- Easter (17th April 2022) - This day is celebrated as the day when Jesus Christ was resurrected from the dead on the third day after his crucifixion. Easter is also known as the season of the Church Year. Easter is also the end of the Lent season which is one of fasting, prayer, and penance.
Last Updated on : February 15, 2022