Baingan/Eggplant and Chicken together sounds like a difficult match. However, trust me when I say this, they are a match made in heaven. Baingan Chicken is a typical desi curry made with spices, and it tastes incredible both with roti and rice. It is a thick gravied dish with loads of flavours, and the best part of the dish is that it is healthy. All the ingredients used are well balanced and rich in nutrition value as well. So, in short, it is a healthy, tasty, and must-try recipe.
- Chicken Breast – 500 g
- Eggplant/Baingan/Brinjal – 2 pieces
- Onions chopped – 2 pieces
- Tomatoes chopped or pureed – 2 pieces
- Ghee/Butter/Olive Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Ginger-Garlic paste – 2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – A pinch
- Salt – According to taste
- Kashmiri Red Chilli powder – 2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Corriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Chicken Masala powder – 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala powder – 1 teaspoon
- Fresh Corriander – For garnish
- Take a pressure cooker and put it on medium heat. Add Ghee/Butter/Olive Oil to the cooker, and later when it is hot, add a pinch of cumin seeds.
- Fry the chopped onions for about 2-3 minutes till they turn golden brown. Later add the Ginger-Garlic paste and saute it for one minute more.
- To the sauteed onions, add Kashmiri Red Chilli powder, Turmeric powder, Corriander powder, Chicken Masala powder, Garam Masala powder and saute for a minute or so. Add half a cup of water to the mixture if required to cook the masalas properly.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and salt to the onions. Cook them along with onions for 3-4 minutes or till the oil separates.
- Cut the boneless chicken breast into 2-inch pieces and add the chicken to the cooker. Saute the chicken with the onion-tomato mixture for about 5 minutes.
- Now cut the brinjal into 2-3 inch pieces roughly and cook them for 2 minutes along with the chicken.
- Add half a glass of water or roughly 200-300 ml to the cooker. Now, close the pressure cooker and wait for it to whistle 2-3 times. Open the pressure cooker once there is no steam inside it. Please check the pressure cooker properly for steam before opening it.
- To get the right consistency of the gravy, put the pressure cooker on a lower flame to dry the water.
- Once you achieve the desired consistency of the gravy put the flame off. Garnish the Baingan Chicken with freshly chopped coriander and serve.