Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani Recipe
There is one thing I do for sure whenever I visit Hyderabad – indulge in Hyderabadi Biryani! Its taste is so unique and flavourful that it assures immense satisfaction. Hyderabadi Dum Biryani is cooked in dum (under pressure with covered lid) and over slow heat which allows the flavours to blend completely, and as you open the lid the appealing Hyderabadi Dum Biryani looks so tempting that you just cannot resist having it.
Use this recipe and prepare this mouth-watering dish yourself. I have used mutton, so it is Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani. Enjoy it with some mix veg raita.
Ingredients needed for Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani
- Onions – 3/4 (sliced)
- Desi ghee – 4 tbsp
- Black peppercorns – 6-9
- Cinnamon stick – 2 inch piece
- Cloves – 6-9
- Black cardamom – 3/4
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Curd – 1 cup
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Zeera powder – 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Saffron – A few strands
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Basmati rice – 2 cups (soaked for 30 min)
- Water – 4 cups
- Kewda essence – 7-9 drops
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
- Yellow food colour – 1/4tsp
- Cashew nuts – 5-8 (fry till light brown)
- Mutton – 500 gm
- Oil – For frying
How to make Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the sliced onions till golden brown, remove and dry on tissue paper.
- Heat half of ghee in a pressure cooker.
- When it is hot, add half each of cinnamon stick, black peppercorn, cloves and cardamom.
- Add ginger garlic paste and curd and fry for a minute.
- Add mutton pieces and fry for 3 minutes on high heat.
- Add all the dry masala.
- Add 1 cup water and cook till mutton is done.
- Add half of the golden brown onions, lemon juice and cook till dry. Keep aside.
- Heat remaining half of ghee, add remaining cinnamon stick, black peppercorn, cloves and cardamom.
- Add rice, water, kewda essence, salt and cook till rice is 80% done.
- In a heavy bottom pan, layer half of rice, top with mutton, fried onions, coriander leaves, saffron and milk and food colour.
- Top with remaining rice and another bout of fried onions, saffron and milk, food colour and finally fried cashew nuts.
- Cover with lid and seal with a dough.
- Cook for 30 minutes on slow heat. Serve hot with Mix Veg Raita.