Kesari Kheer Recipe
Kesari Kheer is a creamy Indian rice pudding cooked with rice and milk and is flavored with cardamom and kesar. Lots of dry fruits are added to make it rich and delicious. This kheer is very easy to make and is a part of most celebrations in India. Be it a festival, or marriage ceremony, or any Puja at home, kheer inevitably finds it way on the menu. It is made throughout India, but with different names like Payasam, Khiri, Payesh etc. Although the names are different, the cooking technique is very similar. So here is a delicious Kesari Kheer recipe for you.
Ingredients Needed for Kesari Kheer
- Full Cream Milk – 1 and 1\2 litres
- Basmati Rice – 1\2 cup
- Kesar strands – 1 generous pinch
- Sugar – 1\2 cup
- Grated Coconut – 1\4 cup
- Cashew Nuts – 1\4 cup (chopped )
- Almonds – 1\4 cup (chopped )
- Pistachios – 1\4 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
How to make Kesari Kheer
- Wash and soak the rice for an hour.
- Soak the kesar strands in 2 tbsp of milk for an hour.
- Add milk in a heavy bottom pan.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Add the kesar soaked in milk and rice to the boiling milk.
- Reduce the heat and slowly cook the milk and rice for about an hour, stirring in between, till the kheer is creamy and the rice has cooked well.
- Add sugar, cardamom powder, coconut, cashew nuts, almonds and pistachios and cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish with almond and pistachio flakes.
- Always add the sugar in the end.
- Keep stirring the kheer in between to prevent it from burning and sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- You can eat the kheer hot or you can also chill it in the refrigerator before eating.
- If you don’t have kesar, you can omit it from the recipe, although it gives a very rich flavor to the kheer.
- Enjoy this delicious dessert with family and friends anytime, throughout the year.