Poha is a specialty from Madhya Pradesh and is made with beaten rice. It is an easy-to-make, healthy and light snack which can be eaten for breakfast or can be enjoyed with evening tea. Although it is very light and healthy, it is quite filling as well. One bowl eaten in the morning keeps you going till the lunch time. To make poha, beaten rice is moistened and is fried with mustard seeds, curry leaves, onions and vegetables. It makes a very good tiffin option for kids. So here is the recipe to make delicious poha.
Ingredients needed for Poha
- Thick poha – 2 cups
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Mustard seed – 1 tsp
- Peanuts – 1/4 cup
- Onion – 1 cup (chopped)
- Green peas – 1/2 cup
- Green chili – 2-3 (slit into halves)
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
How to make Poha
- Wash and soak poha in water for 10 minutes, until they are soft.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds.
- When the seeds starts splattering, add curry leaves and peanuts.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add onion and fry for a minute.
- Add green peas, salt and turmeric powder.
- Fry again for a minute.
- Add the drained poha and simmer the heat.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Keep stirring in between.
- Serve hot.
- Do not soak poha for too long, otherwise it will become mushy.
- Drain the poha nicely before adding it to the pan.
- You can add vegetables of your choice to the poha.