Seviyan Upma Recipe
My family has a good liking towards pasta and I am always looking to bring Indian flavors to it. All would agree that Indian herbs and spices added to any dish does wonders to it. Seviyan is an Indian pasta which has been innovatively used all over India in various meal courses. Here, I have used some vegetables and regular home spices to bring an amazing flavor to seviyan in the form of upma. I like it for two reasons: one, obviouslybecause it is a great breakfast option; and two, that my son just loves it! It is a good option to keep for the kids’ school lunch as it is very filling and nutritious. It can be relished by kids along with tomato ketchup. However, adults may like it better with some hot and spicy sauce, both of which are easily available in the market. Follow this recipe of seviyan upma for a great start to your mornings or mid-day meal.
- Seviyan/ Vermicelli – 1 cup
- Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – handful
- Onion – 1 (chopped)
- Green chili – 3-4 (chopped)
- Potato – 1 (cubed)
- Green peas – 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
How to make Seviyan Upma
- Add 1 tbsp oil in a pan and slightly roast the vermicelli.
- Remove from the pan and keep aside.
- Add another tbsp oil in the pan.
- When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds.
- When the seeds starts splattering, add curry leaves and green chilies.
- Fry for a minute.
- Add onion and fry again for a minute.
- Add potatoes, peas, roasted vermicelli, salt, turmeric powder and 3 cups of water.
- Cover and cook till vermicelli are soft and all the water has been absorbed.
- Serve hot with ketchup.