It was after a fairly long gap that I made chole and this time in a shahi andaz. I was longing for them for a few days and finally Shahi Chole came out real nice looking and delicious. Made in light gravy with the addition of khoya and cream, they go very well with home made roti or paratha. Chole or chick peas are good source of protein, iron and folate in the diet and with India being the largest producer of these in the world, they are made in many different varieties. Shahi Chole is a great choice for everyday meal as well as party menu, so when you are in a mood for chole next time, use this Shahi Chole recipe and enjoy a great meal with your family.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Onion – 1 cup (chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch piece (chopped)
- Garlic – 5 to 6 cloves (chopped)
- Tomato – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Dhania powder – 2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Chole – 2 cups
- Khoya – 50 gms
- Cream – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Fresh dhania for garnishing
How to make Shahi Chole
Preparation time: 10 min.
Cooking time: 45 min.
- Soak the chole in water for 6 to 8 hours.
- Boil or pressure cook until nearly done and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadhai, fry onions till translucent, add ginger and garlic and fry till golden brown.
- Add all dry masala and fry using a little water for about 5 min.
- Add tomatoes and fry for another 5 min with a little more water.
- Add chole with about 2 cups of water and cook until they are done.
- Add crushed khoya and cream, mix well and cook for another 2 to 3 min.
- Garnish with fresh dhania leaves.
- Serve hot.