Chutney’s have played an important role in the evolving Indian cuisine and have been used for long decades. Whenever I used to visit the authentic south Indian restaurants, I have always been served coconut chutney and along with comes a really spicy red color tomato chutney. This spicy tomato chutney has every time multiplied the taste of idli’s, vada’s and dosas. We have made the regular coconut chutney a number of times, however I always wanted to make this great tomato chutney, which I finally did this time and being from the southern part of India, I named it as South Indian Style Spicy Tomato Chutney. The chutney goes well with most south Indian dishes, but really can enhance the flavor of any Indian meal. It is mostly prepared with tomatoes, onion, red chilies and garlic, while the tadka of mustard seeds, urad and chana dal with some curry leaves just creates a mesmerizing feel. It is very simple and quick to prepare this chutney and you can use this recipe to make South Indian Style Spicy Tomato Chutney.
Ingredients Needed for South Indian Style Spicy Tomato Chutney
- Tomatoes – 3/4 (chopped)
- Dry red chilies – 6/8
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Garlic – 8/10 cloves (peeled)
- Onion – 2 (chopped)
- Chana dal – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprig
- Salt to taste
How to make South Indian Style Spicy Tomato Chutney
- Add 2 tsp oil in a pan, add garlic and onions and fry for a minute.
- Add tomatoes and 3/4 dry red chilies and fry for another 2/3 min.
- Put this in a blender to blend. Keep separate.
- Put remaining oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, chana and urad dal.
- When it starts to splatter, add curry leaves and remaining dry red chilies.
- Add the blended paste, salt.
- Chutney is ready, serve with south Indian dishes for an authentic feel.
272 total views, 3 views today