A healthy food habit is vital for everyone to maintain a healthy lifestyle, especially for significant diseases like hypertension, diabetes, or cancer. Therefore, food choices should be made carefully for the patients who have any illness or other individual. Making wise food choices may sound complicated or sad, but it is not a difficult task.
Listed below are some food options that are ideal for individuals with diabetes.
- Fatty Fish: Fatty fishes like salmon and mackerel are enriched with omega-3 and other essential nutrients. They have high amounts of protein, which helps in regulating blood sugar levels. Fatty fishes can be consumed regularly if prepared healthy like grilled or sautéed but not deep-fried.
- Nuts: Nuts like cashew nuts, walnuts, and almonds are rich in fibre and nutrients, vital for our healthy body and skin. The fibre in nuts helps in controlling blood sugar levels. They are also great alternatives to sugary desserts.
- Oats: Many diabetes patients are advised to consume minimal amounts of rice or other carbohydrates. Oats are a healthy alternative to carbohydrates, and it is ideal for diabetes patients as well. Oats are easy to digest and pretty low in cholesterol which helps in keeping blood sugar levels under control.
- Fruits: Fresh fruits are enriched with many nutritional components like vitamins, minerals, and fibre, essential for our health. Fresh fruits contain natural sucrose, which is not harmful to our health. Fruits are also an excellent alternative for dessert or sweet cravings.
- Eggs: Eggs are one of the best sources of proteins. Proteins are beneficial in regulating normal blood sugar levels. Eggs give you the energy to perform well the entire day.
Every diabetic patient needs to maintain proper food habits to prevent the disease from getting worst. It is suggested to get professional advice for dietary choices.