Tea has been a revered beverage for hundreds of centuries. So much so that this beverage has transformed into a movement that has taken over the entire world. For many people, their mornings are incomplete without a cupful of tea. Such is the craze of this beverage among the Indian people. The recent researches have shed light on the reasons why this beverage has garnered so much popularity for various wellness benefits.
Today’s contemporary tea habits are developing as people are taking out time from their busy schedules and explore the health benefits of drinking different kinds of teas that help in treating multiple health issues like weight loss, osteoporosis, and stress reduction. By including the following teas in your health regime, you not only give a boost of healthy nutrients and minerals to your body but also say goodbye or delay the effects of many serious health-related ailments.
1. Green Tea
Ever since the discovery of green tea in China thousands of years back, it has been curing innumerable people diagnosed with an ample amount of disorders. Unlike other teas, it is least processed which is why it is green in color. The presence of catechins and antioxidants in green tea makes it a healthy drink. Catechins compound is known for its antimicrobial properties.
- Lowers cholesterol: The catechins present in the green tea help in lowering the bad cholesterol levels.
- Lowers blood pressure: The green tea has the ability to reduce blood pressure due to the presence of powerful antioxidants called polyphenols. This compound neutralizes the effect of free radicals on the heart.
- Prevents dental problems: This drink curbs the plaque formation on the teeth and prevents tooth cavities.
- Controls blood sugar levels: Green tea is extremely beneficial for the diabetic patients as it contains polyphenols and polysaccharides.
- Effective weight loss remedy: People usually go for green tea in weight loss management. The catechins present in this drink makes it an ideal option for weight loss.
- Prevents breast cancer: According to a research, green tea lowers the risk of breast cancer due to polyphenols in this drink.
Prevents cold and flu.
2. Black tea
Black tea is the most commonly used variety of tea. It is the regular tea without milk. The leaves of this tea are completely oxidized and dried making this tea much stronger in flavor and color. It is extremely helpful to deal with the afternoon lethargy due to the high caffeine content. There are various forms in which you can enjoy this amazing beverage like iced tea, afternoon tea, morning tea, or just with a squeeze of lemon. Black tea is also imbued with various health benefits like-
- Averting heat diseases: Black tea has flavonoids antioxidants which boost heart health. Drinking this tea on a regular basis reduces the risks of heart disease, including high blood pressure.
- Reduces bad cholesterol: The habit of drinking tea works like magic in reducing the bad cholesterol levels which can lead to heart strokes. A study has found that people who drink 1-2 cups of black tea every day have less risk of heart disease as compared to the people who drink less or no black tea at all.
- Protects the lungs: It is believed that drinking black tea regularly helps in protecting the lungs against the damage caused by smoking cigarettes.
- Improves digestion: The content of tannins and the anti-inflammatory properties of black tea promotes a healthy digestive system and helps in curing digestive disorders. The chemical compounds in black tea also have the ability to cure stomach ulcers.
- Eases Stress: The consumption of black tea helps in reducing stress by lowering the production of the stress hormone. The amino acid in this tea calms stress and encourages relaxation.
3. Oolong Tea
Mainly originating from China, oolong tea is the most intricate of all types of teas. The tea has an amazing aroma and a fruity flavor. It comes with the health benefits of both green and black tea. Though it is high on caffeine content, it is still a relaxing beverage. Some of its benefits are-
- Weight loss: The presence of a polyphenolic compound in the oolong tea helps in controlling the fat metabolism in the body and thus reducing obesity.
- Improves digestion: Just like green tea, oolong tea has powerful polyphenols that improves the functions of your digestive system.
- Prevents cancer: The polyphenolic compound in oolong tea prevents the growth development of cancerous cells in the body.
- Cures eczema: Drinking oolong tea helps in curing eczema due to the presence of polyphenols.
4. White Tea
White tea is the mildest tea variety as it is least processed. This tea does not undergo the process of oxidation which keeps its medicinal elements intact. The tea has catechins which are known for their antimicrobial and antioxidant properties. People who drink this tea stay much healthy and fresh.
- Rich in antioxidants: White tea has loads of antioxidants called polyphenols which are extremely beneficial for the human body. They protect the cells from the harmful free radicals that may cause serious illnesses in the body.
- Reduces heart diseases: Just like other teas, white tea also contains catechins which are responsible for good heart health.
- Helps in weight loss: Like green tea, white can also promote weight loss due to the presence of catechins in it.
- Promotes dental health: The content of fluoride, tannins, and catechins in white tea help in strengthening the teeth by fighting bacteria and sugar.
- Protect against osteoporosis: Osteoporosis is a health condition which makes the bones hollow and fragile. The catechins found in white tea help in fighting against these risk factors by encouraging bone growth and suppressing breaking of the bones.
5. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea is widely praised for its anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. Since ages, chamomile has been used as in teas & tinctures. Both the fresh and dried chamomile flowers are used to make teas for centuries and are believed to help in alleviating a number of common ailments, such as:
- For sound sleep: This tea is a potent sleep-inducer and has been used to treat insomnia. The flavonoids in this tea are held responsible for its sedative effect.
- Relieves menstrual cramps: Chamomile tea is a well-known remedy for reducing menstrual cramps. This tea calms the uterus muscles and gives relief from the period cramps.
- Boosts immunity: The high content of antioxidants in the chamomile tea helps in boosting your immunity against the bacteria and viruses. It relaxes your muscles, alleviates inflammation, hinders the growth of cancer-causing cells and also the herpes virus.
- Improves digestion: The antispasmodic properties in this tea helps in improving the digestion-related disorders like diarrhea, gas, acid reflux, etc. It also relaxes the muscles of the stomach and intestines and alleviates the gastrointestinal disorders like pain and anxiety.
- Treats skin problems: Chamomile tea helps in curing skin-related problems like eczema, acne, psoriasis, and pigmentation.
6. Yellow tea
Exceptional and extraordinary, yellow tea is gradually taking over the tea-loving population around the globe. The tea is imbibed with an amazing fruity smell, sweet taste, and a plenty of health benefits. It also contains catechins as other teas but in different amounts. Its benefits are-
- Helps in Weight Loss: If you are looking to shed those extra kilos, then include yellow tea in your diet. The polyphenols and catechins in this tea trigger your metabolism and fat burning process.
- Prevents Diabetes: Yellow tea has helped people in the past in controlling their blood sugar levels. There are studies which suggested that this tea has the potential to prevent type-1 diabetes.
- Reduces bad cholesterol levels: It is proven that yellow tea is effective in reducing bad cholesterol while increasing good cholesterol in the body.
7. Kombucha Fermented Tea
Kombucha is a kind of fermented green or black tea. It is a good source of probiotics and is touted as a magical remedy for the digestive system. It’s other benefits-
Boosts immunity: The antioxidant properties of kombucha tea help boosts and detoxify our immune system. The health benefits of this tea are-
- Boost of antioxidants: There is an increased level of antioxidants in this tea due to the fermentation process it goes through. This suppresses inflammation and prevents metabolic disorders.
- Averts stomach ulcers: As this tea helps in preserving the mucus lining of the stomach and controls excess production of stomach acids, it prevents the growth of stomach ulcers.
8. Peppermint Tea
This tea is the most common herbal tea consumed across the world. While it is mostly used for its digestion-related benefits, but it is also imbued with anticancer, antiviral and antibacterial properties. The benefits of drinking this tea are-
- Relieves stress: When it is about relieving stress and discomfort, peppermint tea is one of the best things to resort to. The presence of menthol in the peppermint works as a great muscle relaxant.
- Promotes sound sleep: If you are an insomniac, peppermint tea is the perfect drink for you. Drinking caffeine-free peppermint tea acts as a muscle relaxant and helps you have a sound sleep.
- Improves Immune System: The antibacterial properties in the peppermint tea help fight against the diseases by improving the immune system. The fragments of vitamin B, potassium, and various antioxidants make the body function in a healthy way.
9. Ginger Tea
Nothing can beat cold like sipping a cup of hot ginger tea. The tea is loaded with vitamin C, magnesium and other minerals which makes it a healthy drink. It is spicy in flavor and is packed with healthy antioxidants.
- Fight cold: Ginger tea is an effective drink that helps in alleviating the chest congestion due to cold. So drink a cup of this tea to fight against the environmental allergies.
- Cures nausea: Having a cup of ginger tea before a long travel is advised as it prevents nausea and vomiting due to the motion.
- Improves digestion: Ginger tea is helpful in encouraging good digestion and elevating the absorption level of food by the body.
10. Hibiscus Tea
This pinkish-red color tea is made with the Hibiscus sabdariffa flower and is known for its rejuvenating, bitter flavor just like the cranberry juice. Its consumers can drink this tea either hot or cold. Like other herbal teas, this tea is free of caffeine and low in calories which makes it a healthy drink. It is loaded with a wide number of benefits that are-
- Reduces cholesterol levels: Hibiscus tea is full of antioxidants which help in lowering bad cholesterol in the body. Therefore, it reduces the risk of heart strokes and other heart diseases.
- Removes signs of aging: The antioxidants in hibiscus tea helps in removing the visible aging signs from the face and improves the elasticity of the skin.
- Good for digestion: The diuretic properties of the hibiscus tea is good for digestion and improves bowel movements. It treats indigestion and constipation and improves the complete gastrointestinal system.
- Cures menstrual cramps: Drinking hot hibiscus tea calms the painful menstrual cramps and provides instant relief. It balances the hormones in the woman’s body during the menstruation.