10 ways to celebrate eco-friendly Diwali this year
The much-awaited festival of the year, Diwali, is just around the corner. The auspicious occasion of Diwali is all about spreading happiness, illuminating lives and cherishing the humanitarian bond. With rampant air and noise pollution, it is becoming difficult for people to even breathe fresh air these days. So, it is advisable to go green this Diwali. Opt for environmentally friendly ways to celebrate Diwali which not only helps in illuminating your life but that of others as well. Here are some ways to celebrate eco-friendly Diwali this year-
- With a rampant rise in air pollution, bursting crackers must be prohibited. Air and noise pollution are one of the reasons for people suffering from asthma, breathing ailments along with irritation in eyes.
- Resort to biodegradable substances not only during the festive season but for other days as well. Since bio-degradable do not increase already high-levels of pollution.
- Go green this Diwali. With increasing level of pollution and its hazardous effect on people’s health, it is advisable to opt for environment-friendly ways. Opt for eco-friendly rangoli to decorate your home as well as offices. Make use of pulses as well as rice for rangoli. Flowers like roses, lotus, chrysanthemums and leaves can be used for rangoli which can be used later to make compost for the garden.
- Electric diyas and candles can be substituted with earthly diyas which are not only biodegradable but enhances the elegance of a space as well. In the contemporary times, innumerable DIY diyas are popular among youth. You can try that as well. While decorating your homes, as well as office spaces, opt for LED light.
- Innovate your gifts this Diwali. Instead of gifting age old sweet boxes which increases cholesterol and comes with diabetes risk, it is advisable to give some healthy gifts to your near and dear ones. Give some eco-friendly gifts this Diwali- air purifying plants, feng shui plants, kitchen herbs along with solar power gadgets and khadi clothes would be some environmental friendly gifts.
- Unleash your creativity this Diwali by planning and creating your own decorations. Silk stoles, resplendent sarees are amazing for home decorations. Use recycled items for decoration in order to give an environmentally friendly touch to Diwali.
- Light up the life of local artisans this Diwali. Buy bio-degradable products from them and contribute in making their Diwali a joyful one.
- Food is a luxury for people who cannot afford it. Do not waste food not only during Diwali but on other days as well. Spread happiness by providing food to the needy.
- Restrain from using plastic wrapping papers for beautifully decorating gift items. Opt for eco-friendly wrapping papers as well as jute bags for gifting. Even newspapers come handy for making gift bags.
- Diwali is all about spreading happiness around, celebrating together and strengthening bonds. Become selfless this Diwali, initiate to not only light up diyas in your homes but to spread joy and illuminate the lives of others through your humanitarian deeds. Go to some old-age home or an orphanage and spread happiness around.