The dates for the Amarnath Yatra this year are from 28 June 2013 to 21 August 2013 and online registration has started from 18th March 2013. Registration can be done online through the Amarnath Yatra official website www.amarnathyatra.org
Children who are below the age of 13 years and persons above the age of 75 years will not be eligible to undertake the Amarnath Yatra 2013.
How to Reach Amarnath
Air: The closest airport to Amarnath is Srinagar, located at a distance of around 95 km from Pahalgam, the base camp for Amarnath Yatra. Srinagar is connected to major cities in India by airlines such as Air India, GoAir, IndiGo, Jet Airways, JetKonnect and Spicejet.
Pawan Hans and Himalayan Heli Helicopters also fly to Amarnath and can be booked through their official websites www.pawanhans.co.in or www.himalayanheli.com or www.onlineglobalhelicorp.com
Rail: The nearest railhead to Amarnath is Jammu, located at a distance of around 281 km from Pahalgam, the base camp for Amarnath Yatra. Major trains connecting Amarnath to other parts of the country are:
- Delhi: Jammu Rajdhani
- Chennai: Andaman Express
- Howrah: Himgiri Express
- Ahmedabad: Sarvodaya Express
- Jamnagar: Jam Jat Express
- Pune: Jhelum Express
The journey by road (walking) passes through Pahalgam - Chandanwari - Pissu Top - Sheshnag - Panchtarni and then finally reaching the holy cave of Amarnath.
Accommodation in Amarnath
Many government and non-government, charitable organizations provide tent accommodation and community kitchen (Langar) facilities to pilgrims at a very nominal price or at times even free of cost.
- Achieve physical fitness a month before the Yatra.
- Begin deep breathing exercise as there is lack of oxygen at high altitudes.
- Carry warm and comfortable clothes during the Yatra as temperatures can drop radically.
- Carry a raincoat and torch as it might rain or snow during the Yatra
- Keep some identification of yourself with you all the time
- Carry a water bottle and some dry fruits to snack on the journey
- Keep a moisturizer or a cold cream to protect your skin from dry conditions
- Always follow instructions given by the Yatra Administration
- Carry basic medication along with you
- Take regular breaks and try not to exert yourself too much during the climb