Yercaud is a picturesque hill station lying in the Salem district of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. The mountainous territory of Yercaud is known as the Shevaroy Hills. Yercaud is known as the Jewel of the South as well due to its growing significance as a top tourist destination in Southern India.
You can buy natural oils, fragrances, coffee powder, and beauty care products from Yercaud. These are offered in good quality and affordable rates. The town is dubbed as the ?Ooty of the Poor? because of cheap prices of goods. The Salem town is quite known for colorful handloom fabrics and dress materials. The principal shopping districts in Yercaud are the Main Bazaar and the Salem Co-operative Super Market Branch. Clove, pepper, coffee, cinnamon, and honey are the popular buys.
Places to see in and around Yercaud
- Yercaud Town- The Yercaud town lies at an elevation of 1350 meters or 4700 feet. Yercaud serves as the Taluk headquarters of this town.
- The Emerald Lake or Big Lake- This serene lake is situated in a magnificent bordering of natural sandbanks and hills. There is a marvelously landscaped backyard on one side of the lake and the lake offers boating opportunities to the enthusiasts. It is the sole natural lake among all the hill station lagoons in South India.
- Deer Park- The Deer Park lies in the middle of the Emerald Lake. It is a popular recreational area for children.
- Anna Park- The Anna Park is located beside the lake. The area is specifically used to organize the 'Flower Show' which takes place in May. There is another park in Anna Park which is known as the 'Japanese Park' and it is a popular tourist draw.
- Gent's Seat; Lady's Seat and Children's Seat - This is a rocky formation towards the southwest of the Yercaud mountains and offers scenic views of the city of Salem and ghat road in the south.
- Orchidarium-Botanical Survey of India- The town houses one of the two orchidariums managed by the Botanical Survey of India. It houses a huge assortment of indigenous orchids. You will see the famous insect-eating orchid which is called as the Ladies Slipper.
- Horticulture Farm- The horticultural garden is home to the 'Children Seat' and 'Rose Garden'. The Rose Garden features different types of roses starting from Very Big Rose to Button Rose.
- Pagoda Point- The Pagoda Point is located to the eastern fringes of the Yercaud Mountains. This place is called as Pyramid Point as well.
- Arthur Seat- This summit offers a panoramic vista of the Yercaud Town and Big Lake. You can see the picturesque Shevaroyan Peak from this elevated area.
- Bear's Cave- The Bear's Cave lies close to the Norton's Bungalow and is regarded as one of the holy residences of Lord Murugan.
- Heaven's Ledge- The Heaven's Ledge is a beautiful westward rocky formation in Gowri Estate. The place has been switched to a camping ground to maintain and promote the tourism industry. It is located at a distance of 15 km from the principal township.
- Grange- The Grange is one of the oldest edifices in the town constructed during the 1820s.
- Fairholme Bungalow- The Fairholme Bungalow is one of the historic heritage regal cottages lying on Tipperary Road.
- Killiyur Falls- This waterfall is 27 meters or 90 feet tall. This charmingly spectacular waterfall is located at a distance of 3 km from the Yercaud Lake. The time after the Northeast or Southwest Monsoon is the ideal occasion to visit this place.
October to May
The closest international airport is the Salem Airport, which is located at a distance of 38 km. Coimbatore (195 km) and Trichirapalli (165 km) are other nearby airports.
Nearest Railway Station
Salem Junction, around 38 km from the city
Last Updated on : January 13, 2014