Sabudana ki Khichdi Recipe
Sabudana khichdi is an very versatile and light meal. As sabudana is something that can be enjoyed during fasts (vrat), this recipe comes in handy for a lot of Indians who fast on various days of the week. Regular salt can be substituted with senda namak in this case.
This dish comes from the western part of India, specifically Gujarat and Maharashtra, where it is enjoyed through most part of the year. The spices in the dish can be varied according to taste, while some toppings, such as peanuts, can be used to give a different flavor to the dish. If you are consuming this as a regular meal then a tadka of onions, garlic and red chili powder in desi ghee does wonders here. Enjoy this dish with curd and papad with your favorite pickle (achar) on the side or have it for breakfast all by itself. Here is the recipe!
Ingredients needed for Sabudana ki Khichdi
- Sabudana – 1/2 cup
- Peanuts – 2 tbsp
- Ghee- 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Green chili – 1 (chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice – 2 tsp
- Fresh coriander for garnishing – 1 tsp
How to make Sabudana ki Khichdi
- Wash and soak sabudana in 1/4 cup water for 6-8 hours.
- Roast the peanuts in a heavy-bottom pan and keep aside.
- Add ghee in a pan.
- When the ghee is hot, add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds starts splattering, add green chili and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the soaked sabudana, salt and peanuts.
- Simmer the heat and cook till sabudana turns translucent.
- Add lemon juice and garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve hot.