Born on 22 March 1885, Yazdani received his education under Rev. J. Godfrey F. Day and C.F. Andrws. Additionally, he was also trained under Maulavi Mohammad Ishaq and Shamsul Ulama Maulavi Nazeer Ahmad. In the year 1903, he stood first in Aligarh Muslim University in his intermediate exams, followed by winning three gold medals. Later in 1907, Gulam Yazdani was appointed as the Professor of Persian at St. Stephen’s College in Delhi and in 1909, H.Sharp appointed him as the Professor of Arabic in the Government College at Rajshahi in Bengal. Finally, in 1913, the Government of Punjab appointed him as the Professor of Arabic at the Government College in Lahore.
As an Indian archaeologist, Ghulam Yazdani was also one of the co-founders of the Archaeological Department of his Exalted Highness The Nizam’s Dominions (Hyderabad State). From 1913 to 1940, he edited the Arabic and Persian Supplement of Epigraphia Indica and was also instrumental in restoring and conserving a majority of sites in the Hyderabad state, including the caves at Ajanta, Bidar fort and Daulatabad.